Beginner help

Oliverp1994

Visit site
Hey everyone, new to this forum and the game itself haha. I’m looking for some information on what would be some good irons for a beginner, I’m wanting to start lessons but would like some decent irons to start with but nothing too expensive until I’m a bit better (£300 being the maximum I would spend at this point) if anyone could help me out with some recommendations that would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

Visit site
I think I would go to a local golf range first, and ask to borrow a few different clubs. It would give you an idea of what you like and what you don't like.
Choice of golf clubs is such an individual choice. I've had mine for 14 years, and I'm not looking forward to choosing a new set, even though it's about time I did.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Second hand is best value for that. Have a look on ebay for:
Ping: G25, G30, G
Mizuno: JPX range (not pro, forged or tour though)
Wislon D7s maybe?
Callaway: XR or XR OS, or Big Bertha ranges
Cobra: F7

Those are the usual suspects for chunky forgiving irons with big cavity backs. (y)

Oliverp1994

Visit site
This may seem like a stupid reply but does age play a factor in them? Someone did recommend some ping g10s from 2009 and big Bertha from 2006, would it matter that they’re old at all?

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah it definitely could have an effect, they might be rusty inside the shafts and more likely to snap near the head.

It's a minefield for beginners to be honest, but I would go with the above advice, ie reasonably "chunky" irons from a well known brand, 2nd hand, as new as possible. Unless you're overly tall or short then "standard"* length and lie angle will do for now, regular steel shafts and grips in good condition.

* There is no official "standard" but each brand has its own, most are either the same or similar.
Good reply

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ping G10s are superb, even G5s are great for beginners.

Pro: Good resale value if you find golf isn’t your you.

Con: More expensive initial outlay.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Also consider the Wilson D200 / D250 series. Aimed at beginners / high handicappers, admittedly not the best looking, but decent clubs and may be a little cheaper than the more fashionable brands.

Cleveland are another brand that go under the radar, but make decent irons.

Bassfisher

Visit site
I bought ping g15’s on advice from this forum , I have tried other clubs but as a newbie I can tell you that they are excellent ! Very forgiving and hit further! Just want I wanted. You can buy a set for less than £200 and prob get close to your money back in a few yrs time. I’ve now bought the woods , hybrid too!

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Honestly, when you're first starting just get clubs and get out there. Worry about brands/set make up etc if this is for you. You can pick up a starter set from Slazenger for under £100. I brought a set of irons, bag and putter for £25 when I started.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
1) Any iron from the "G" range from Ping will be good... the model name is G plus a number... and generally, the higher the number , the newer it is. (In case you haven't sussed that) It went G5, G10, G20, etc!

2) if you are a complete beginner, I agree with Sats above. Anything cheap will do, as after a few months you'll have more idea about what you are doing and what you want! Search "beginners golf clubs" on eBay and you'll see lots!

If you see something and are not sure, post a link to the eBay item and I am sure you'll get some opinions! :)

Last edited:

Paulienash

Visit site
This may seem like a stupid reply but does age play a factor in them? Someone did recommend some ping g10s from 2009 and big Bertha from 2006, would it matter that they’re old at all?

Also a total beginner, I went for a £50 ebay set of Adams irons and regripped them (remarkably easy), my thinking is if I can learn to hit the ball with a relatively small club, I'll spend a bit more on an intermediate set later on (maybe £400/£500) and really appreciate them.

I did however just buy a £200 new Callaway driver with a graphite shaft and it's bloody fantastic, so not sure if my initial strategy was the right one. I've really struggled off the tee since I started, I've only used the new driver twice but it's a World of difference.