beaten up

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
so you have been playing golf for a few years and you have played a lot of different courses in your time ,some you enjoyed and couldnt wait to play again ,and conversley you have no doubt played golf courses that have no right to be called a golf course,but in all your playing what is the course that has beaten you up ,that one track that you couldnt get to grips with .for me its the ROYAL ASHDOWN I have never been able to get anywhere near my h/cap when playing there and it beats me up every time i play it .
so over to you to let us into your nemesis of a golf course. andare you going to try and tame it .

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Same for me on the West course there in dry conditions - I'm fine on the Old Course though.
Only course we play in Seniors matches where I've yet to actually get a win!

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Braids No1 in Edinburgh, comfortably my least favourite track on the planet, nice views of the city interrupted by a vast expanse of gorse... I have no intention to ever play it again,not played it a few times and the last was 6yrs ago which is nowhere near long enough

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Leeds Castle near Maidstone.

It’s a really picturesque short course (9 holes) with mixture of par 3 and 4’s. I always play 18 there and am yet to break 85 (68).

Was one of the first course I played. I reckon if I went there now with just irons and less I’d get round in a high 70’s as the trouble is always off the tee at 200yards plus. But that takes the fun out of it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Braids No1 in Edinburgh, comfortably my least favourite track on the planet, nice views of the city interrupted by a vast expanse of gorse... I have no intention to ever play it again,not played it a few times and the last was 6yrs ago which is nowhere near long enough
Is that Braids Hill, the municipal course? I played it last Monday. I'm whispering now but I quite enjoyed it. Too hilly to play regularly but I came off smiling. I understand why you would dislike it though. The rough and gorse were manageable, I suspect quite different later in the year.

For me, Pannal has duffed me up twice. I want to play it again as I think I'm a better player now. The course is excellent, I don't think I've been welcomed better at a club either. I just want to play it well.

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Is that Braids Hill, the municipal course? I played it last Monday. I'm whispering now but I quite enjoyed it. Too hilly to play regularly but I came off smiling. I understand why you would dislike it though. The rough and gorse were manageable, I suspect quite different later in the year.

For me, Pannal has duffed me up twice. I want to play it again as I think I'm a better player now. The course is excellent, I don't think I've been welcomed better at a club either. I just want to play it well.
That's the one, An ocean of gorse swallowing golf balls all day long,in my experience at least!! Just can't see fairway alot of the time from the tee never mind a line to safety, just gorse....gives me nitemares just thinking about it

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Dougalston in Milngavie is the one that springs to mind.

Its got a good number of long par 4s and trees absolutely everywhere. There is the potential for a lost ball in the trees on almost every hole and some of the holes are / were crazily tight.

Also a lot of walks back to the tees and some real brutal uphill holes.

Beaten up is the exact phrase I would use for how I felt having played it. You are tired from walking about an extra 9 holes going back to the tees and looking for balls on most holes, plus fed up having shot 100+ and lost a few balls on each 9.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Woodhall Spa, Hotchkin off the blacks in a hooley. And another for the Duchess at Woburn. Returned many times to Woodhall but in no rush to try Woburn again.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That's the one, An ocean of gorse swallowing golf balls all day long,in my experience at least!! Just can't see fairway alot of the time from the tee never mind a line to safety, just gorse....gives me nitemares just thinking about it
I used to play that quite often - before joining a links club. Certainly lots of blind shots and scope to lose balls, but I treated those threats as part of/the major challenge. The views certainly make up for any frustration! There was also the potential to lose balls 'on the fairway' at times - to the local scallywags! 9th (or maybe 10th) was their hunting ground!

As for the original question....I can't remember being 'beaten up' consistently anywhere, though I've certainly had that happen pretty regularly. Possibly haven't put enough pressure on myself to hit further than I do has 'helped'. It's frustration with my current bunker play (anywhere) that is my issue - and I'm getting plenty of practice!!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15717

Hadley Wood in Hertfordshire. Play it at least twice a year and haven’t quite got to grips with the place yet. One day, i’ll unlock the secret, but it requires every part of your game being on top form at the same time

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Call me a sucker for punishment and while it’s not a course per se, I really struggle with the back 9 of my home course MerristWood. Playing off 12, I’ve shot numerous +1 & +2 gross averaging +4 on the front 9 but the best ever back 9 has been +5 and average around +8 I reckon.

Only other one that springs to mind is the O’Connor at Amendoeira, just could not get around there without loosing my patience yet got on splendidly well on the Faldo. You’d think it would be the other way around......

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
For me it’s actually my home course, Wychwood Park. It’s certainly in the top 3 toughest courses I’ve played. I rarely play to my handicap round there. There’s all kinds of trouble all over the course and it’s long. You make one mistake and it costs you 2 shots not 1 and you can quite frequently get punished for good shots. Standard scratch on the card is 74 (+2) and off the back pegs it’s 76 (+4). Comp scratch is usually 74 but now and again creeps up to 75 and even reduction only a few times a year. If you shoot 36 points you’ve had a great knock but if you’re struggling then it can totally demoralise you.

D

Deleted member 25172

Any course I set my foot on at the moment as I seem to have forgotten how to play golf.

But to answer the question, Royal Cinque Ports spat in my face, stomped on my balls, kicked my butt and then smiled to my face and said - hope to see you back again soon.

D

Deleted member 15344

Liphook - just can’t seem to get a decent score there , have played well there in matches etc but every year I struggle to get over 30 points there.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ullesthorpe for me. Played in their open for the last four years and yet to beak 110. Need to take some tips from Crow as it's his home course.