Be careful about complaining.....

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Jeans are quite common on New Zealand courses and found it a bit of a shock at first but soon got used to the and occasionally wore them myself.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s easy to forget that some people choose to join a particular club because of the traditional dress code etc rather than in spite of it. Such people may say if they want to wear jeans they could go to the pub. Any transport caff will serve tea in a mug. Seemingly the guys in question have paid a lot of money over a long number of years to play what sounds like a beautiful course with up market clubhouse facilities because that’s what they wanted. Let’s be honest, if you paid to go to a top notch restaurant you wouldn’t expect your post meal coffee or tea to be served in a mug. Nor would you expect something as simple as Welsh rarebit to be poor.
Maybe the management have looked at their core market and felt they could achieve a better return by going down market. If that’s the case it’s not surprising long standing members who are used to another level of service aren’t happy, especially if they are paying a lot. It does seem like a strange move by the management when they have such an outstanding offering in an affluent area, but that’s a decision for them.
It certainly seems the men in question had complained a lot but it’s poor customer service by the management to just tell them to go elsewhere. There is no mention of anyone trying to address the concerns of long standing and loyal customers. It’s easier to keep a customer than find a new one. If it’s as bad as it sounds they may well not be the last members to go.

3puttpercy

Visit site
I would recommend 1 of every group of players carries a mobile phone.
Doesn't need to be turned on.

The reason behind this that if a player on the course is taken ill heart attack etc.
A phone call could be made to the club house or emergency services so as medical assistance can be activated.
You will always get a signal for emergency(999) calls phone will seek nearest signal.
Many clubs have defibrillators on the premises.
Running back to the clubhouse maybe too late for a fellow golfer.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I would recommend 1 of every group of players carries a mobile phone.
Doesn't need to be turned on.

The reason behind this that if a player on the course is taken ill heart attack etc.
A phone call could be made to the club house or emergency services so as medical assistance can be activated.
You will always get a signal for emergency(999) calls phone will seek nearest signal.
Many clubs have defibrillators on the premises.
Running back to the clubhouse maybe too late for a fellow golfer.

Yup 👍

brickie

Medal Winner
Visit site
Seems to me were commenting on here without the full story. The Daily Mail never let the facts get in the way of a"good"story

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
It's about time the shirt and tie brigade got with the times! I take my hat off (in the clubhouse of course!) to the club for this. Jeans in the clubhouse aren't a problem, why would they be?

Jeans on the course is a step too far. Moaning about tea?? Away with you pal, get gone!

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Suspect it's a bit of a stitch up as The Daily Mail have portrayed them as elderly white male little Englanders who live in the past and do not accept change. Which is the majority of the Mails readership...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Why have they been paying £1800 a year to be members of a club that they don't like? It seems the manager has helped them make a decision which should have been easy.

[BTW, they don't allow jeans on the course so the article must be referring to the clubhouse]

Exactly. If you don't like the standards in the clubhouse and the length of rounds when you play is an issue why bother staying. I suspect there is more to this, usually is with a Daily Mail story when the actual facts are revealed by other sources. I wonder if they have been a cause of regular friction which can be a real problem in clubs if not nipped in the bud

Gopher

Club Champion
Banned
Visit site
I've played the course many times and while it's a great course.. unique, quirky, hard off the back tees... there is a problem with combining a members course where people are paying £1800 a year and expect to walk on for a 4 hour round, with a course that allows hotel guests who have paid £300 a night to play any time, whether they have ever hit a shot in their life or not.

I've been behind 4 balls of hotel guests that have obviously never been a member of a golf club.. no etiquette, raking bunkers, repairing pitch marks, wearing jeans.. nobody told them otherwise... and worse is that Manor House is a course that many people need, and take a buggy.. they go over greens, tees and everywhere..

Oh and the guests think nothing of taking 6 hours to play a round.. when they are entertaining high paying corporate clients then they will take all the time in the world, why shouldn't they? Compare that with the £1800/year serious golfer/member who wants to get a game in under 4 hours and you have a combination that doesn't work.. Sadly money talks, and wins.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Call me an old fuddy duddy if you will but to me, jeans will never be acceptable on the course.

Besides - as every good boy scout knows - jeans are dreadful when they get wet...never wear jeans when out walking if there is a risk of rain and you don't want to wear waterproofs.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never really got the jeans thing if they are smart and clean why ban them.
Have seen players in trousers so old and shiney you could shave in them.
Years ago they were work wear but that’s not the case now.
What about the ones all ripped at the knee would they be ok?

Actually seen a four ball where one player had a tank top so old it had moth holes all over and falling to bits he looked like a tramp.
but the one with the jeans on (Armani very smart) was asked to leave the clubhouse!

Mozza73

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Never really got the jeans thing if they are smart and clean why ban them.
Have seen players in trousers so old and shiney you could shave in them.
Years ago they were work wear but that’s not the case now.
What about the ones all ripped at the knee would they be ok?

Actually seen a four ball where one player had a tank top so old it had moth holes all over and falling to bits he looked like a tramp.
but the one with the jeans on (Armani very smart) was asked to leave the clubhouse!

even Sir Nick wears them :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOu-wbeNp2g

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I think if we kicked out everyone who complains, we wouldn't have any members left ... at least in Germany, moaning and complaining is a way of socializing and a vital part of any club life. :D

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
There just isn't enough background to this story for us to really draw any real understanding.
It may be that they didn't like the changes and were overly vocal in their protestations.
Most courses have to move with the time but at my course, like others, you can't please everyone. Most will understand it but a few of the old school will not like any change at all.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Jeans in the clubhouse? How dare they. What next? Women on the course...

Relaxed dress codes in the club house is a step in the right direction.
Use of mobiles for non-phone calls, I don't have a problem with.
Van drivers playing golf on your course, van drivers are people too!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Jeans in the clubhouse? How dare they. What next? Women on the course...

Relaxed dress codes in the club house is a step in the right direction.
Use of mobiles for non-phone calls, I don't have a problem with.
Van drivers playing golf on your course, van drivers are people too!

My place - tidy and clean jeans and trainers now allowed in clubhouse - but no jeans on the course. Enables me to pop to the club and have a drink or something to eat without getting changed out of jeans were I wearing em.

The clubhouse and pro shop (which is in clubhouse) monitor state of jeans worn in clubhouse. No control on state of jeans worn by those heading straight from the car park to the 1st tee. While there remains a majority of members preferring jeans not worn on the course that is how it will remain. When the membership decides that jeans can be worn then that will happen. But it is not quite yet.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think if we kicked out everyone who complains, we wouldn't have any members left ... at least in Germany, moaning and complaining is a way of socializing and a vital part of any club life. :D

Think you'll find it's more widespread than just in Germany. Every club will have seasoned moaners and no matter what the club do or how good or bad the course is, they'll be something not right. Never there when you ask them to actually sit on a committee and help bring about changes or suggest better ways of doing things (within a reasoned budget). Just there week in, week out dripping their little drop of poison about the place. I know one normally very placid, patient guy who actually went up to a group of seniors who play at the same time a few times a week and come in and bleat, why if they hated they course, the place and the prices do they bother keep turning up and that they'll whining was actually off putting and irritating to others. Never seen a group finish their teas, and leave so meekly. Sadly they were back bang on time a few days later and straight into the old routine