BBC1-9/11

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I remember watching it on TV live as it happened and just couldn't believe what I was seeing and still can't :cry::cry:
If you mean "Inside the Presidents War Room" - yes pretty chilling. And the imagery is still as shocking 20 years on.
But can't help thinking that that given the collection of talking heads used, their actions of the time were never going to be portrayed any differently than what we saw?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you mean "Inside the Presidents War Room" - yes pretty chilling. And the imagery is still as shocking 20 years on.
But can't help thinking that that given the collection of talking heads used, their actions of the time were never going to be portrayed any differently than what we saw?
I watched the 9/11 attack as it happened live on television, absolutely unbelievable.
When the 2 towers implode 1 by 1 that was like something out of a disaster movie. I expected Bruce Willis to appear.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I remember watching it on TV live as it happened and just couldn't believe what I was seeing and still can't :cry::cry:

A group of us had just finished playing golf at Manor House near Castle Coombe when we heard it about it.
I don't usually have the radio on in the car, but as we were about to leave the club to head off home, Ray Taylor wound his window down and asked me if I had mine on.
He urged me to listen in, as "something was happening in America".
Sam and I listened in disbelief all the way home.
Watched last night, the look in George Bush's face when he was first told at the school what was happening is haunting.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
One of those "I was....when I heard the news". I was at work and someone phoned in to say something was happening. It was quite simply unbelievable and it did feel momentous and possibly life-changing...or world changing at least. A running pal called me and suggested we meet for a run around Grafham Water after work. We ran and talked and honestly felt there could be huge repercussions that might impact our freedom to do such things...

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I went on a hot air balloon ride that evening, there was a very strange atmosphere in the basket.
A few days later I found out one of my old school mates was in one of the towers.
Just another innocent victim, he'd done nothing wrong.
He was never found. :cry:

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

I was in a bookies when 9/11 happened, almost every screen switched from live racing/betting shows to the news, there was almost complete silence. Anyone whose been into a bookies knows how much stick someone might get for getting up and blocking a screen so you can imagine how big an event this was for all the screens to be switched without anyone objecting.

D

Deleted member 15344

We were on exercise in Cyprus at the time.

The next day we were in a herc on our way to Saudi Arabia Dhahran and sat there for a while setting up

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I had just got home from work and a pal rang to say what was going off.I put the telly on and a minute or so later the second plane hit. It was unbelievable, one of those moments you remember where you was. Like when Diana died. That night I went to watch Man City v Notts County. I honestly do not know how they could play football. It was a surreal evening.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I was playing a society day at Lamberhurst Golf Club and as I walked into the clubhouse the news was on showing the incident, I thought they were watching a movie until someone said it was really happening. Some years after we went to see the monument and I was quite moved by it

HeftyHacker

Visit site
My mum had come to pick me up from primary school and told me we needed to get back as something terrible was happening in America. I think I got home as one of the towers collapsed but knowing the timeline now it may have just been a replay.

Even at age 10 i still remember it vividly. Harrowing.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
At a conference at The Hilton in Cardiff, has finished morning session and saw it on TV in the bar. Then listened to coverage on the radio on the drive back home and put TV straight on when I got there. Shocking stuff.

A cousin had a close up view. He worked for Cantor Fitzgerald, a finance house based on one of the floors of the World Trade Center near where one of the planes hit. He had gone for an early dental appointment and was coming out of the subway when the first plane hit. He said that root canal saved his life, and he spent the next month going to funerals and memorials.

Edit: Cantor Fitzgerald was on the 105th floor and lost 657 employees.

Last edited:

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I work for Aon (although wasn't working for them then) and their NY office was in one of the towers on floors above the plane strike, so they lost a lot of staff that day. There's a memorial in the current NY office and (although I didn't know this until I was looking through our internal intranet site the other day) the staff in the NY office go to the memorial every year & leave a flower for every staff member lost.

I was working for a global conference company at the time and remember walking through the customer service floor back from lunch and they were all crowded around the TV in the corner - it was deathly quiet in the office that day.