Baselayers.

ThinBullet

Visit site
Modern Golf attire has a way to go with regards to staying warm and not sweaty during a round. Some of the better advice is from the hillwalking community, and quite often I'll go play with a long sleeve mainly cotton shirt on under a wind and splash proof top with a feather down gilet on, and I'm roasting.

I've tried the thermal top route and it just restricts your swing. Thinner based layers but a touch looser is the way to go. Aids movement, and traps air between the layers. See so many golfers with tight fitting golf gear on that's polyester based, and they look so uncomfortable and sweaty.

My long sleeved tops were £5 from George at ASDA. Sized up so when they shrink in the wash, they fit great. Not too tight, and not too loose.

I spent £100 on my Oscar Jacobsen gilet, and it's been the best thing I've bought. Lasted me 3 years so far. Goes in the wash and the tumble dryer no bother.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Modern Golf attire has a way to go with regards to staying warm and not sweaty during a round. Some of the better advice is from the hillwalking community, and quite often I'll go play with a long sleeve mainly cotton shirt on under a wind and splash proof top with a feather down gilet on, and I'm roasting.

I've tried the thermal top route and it just restricts your swing. Thinner based layers but a touch looser is the way to go. Aids movement, and traps air between the layers. See so many golfers with tight fitting golf gear on that's polyester based, and they look so uncomfortable and sweaty.

My long sleeved tops were £5 from George at ASDA. Sized up so when they shrink in the wash, they fit great. Not too tight, and not too loose.

I spent £100 on my Oscar Jacobsen gilet, and it's been the best thing I've bought. Lasted me 3 years so far. Goes in the wash and the tumble dryer no bother.
I do have some of the tight baselayers - I still have some that I wear/wore for football also - but I tend to buy them in a large size instead of my normal medium so they're not super tight, and that works quite well for me. They end up close to the skin but not skintight - and still stretchy for movement.

Multiple thin layers are definitely better than thick jumpers and jackets though. For warmth and for being able to swing a club. In the coldest months I tend to go baselayer, polo, mid-layer, thin gilet so that's four layers but none of them feel too thick to move.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Zero fit! Came across these in an advert in one of the golf mags and took a punt on it. The ultimate claims to be worn between -10° & 10°. Its non compression but not baggy either. I’ve worn it at 3° with just a polo on top so far and in double figures it can get a bit warm but I’d look no further!

I’d say I’ve been on at least a three year mission to try an minimise my layers for comfort including using a battery powered heated Gilet but this with a snood and a Woolley hat has out stripped other solution. I’m expecting it to be much better when throwing on a waterproof jacket as well.
Another vote for Zerofit here. Not the cheapest but incredibly effective.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I use thermal clothing that I bought in Matalan - bought primarily in the days when I was a postie, works perfectly well for me when playing golf too.