Balls........

johnboywalton

Head Pro
Visit site
I know this is a subject that keeps coming up and i know everybody has different ideas, but i am confused about what balls would benefit me most?
I recently won a dozen Titleist balls( surprisingly not in a Golf comp.) and i was given some new Dunlop DDH,so i am trying both.
Once i find the right ball i do not mind spending out, but at the moment, as i am losing the odd one or two!! :eek:, it could work out very costly!
At this very early stage my putting is probably the best part of my game with driving a close second, although everything is obviously work in progress!!

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i buy grade A or B balls off ebay 100 a time for £20-30

persoanlly i don't see need to buy top of the range balls for example pro v1's unless you are a good single figure handicapper.

The benefits they have over "cheaper" balls is they feel a little better off the putter.
They spin more so if you hit a sweet iron into the green the back spin means its likely to hold the green.

But the increased spin means a slice is bigger slice, hook is a bigger hook. They don't go quite as far, as say a dunlop ddh and the trajectory is a little lower.
All things that won't help a mid to high handicapper.
Plus they are expensive

Just my personal opinion though, i think others might disagree

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I saw some Nike Power Distance Soft in a shop today for £12.

That's a great price for a great ball, unless you smash it miles, and then it'll be like a lump of bubble gum.

I've used these, far better than the NDX turbo, which are awful. £12 a dozen beats AD333 and DX2 for value i.m.o.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
RGDave I must sgree with you there. I got 10 boxes on offer several years ago(still have 3 boxes left). One of the nicest balls I've played with.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I saw some Nike Power Distance Soft in a shop today for £12.

That's a great price for a great ball, unless you smash it miles, and then it'll be like a lump of bubble gum.

I've used these, far better than the NDX turbo, which are awful. £12 a dozen beats AD333 and DX2 for value i.m.o.

Sports Direct have then at that price at the mo. I love that ball. I have actually managed to get them to spin back but that was more by luck than intent.

I get mine from printball.com with custom logo. Works out about £15 a dozen with my avatar printed on them. Feels special when I take out a new sleeve for a comp and line it up so smiley face is looking up at me from the tee! :D

DDH are very hard ball but cheap ball. You'll really notice this off the putter.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
RGDave I must sgree with you there. I got 10 boxes on offer several years ago(still have 3 boxes left). One of the nicest balls I've played with.

Bought a dozen from Sports Direct the other day. Haven't used them yet, but based on reviews have just ordered another couple of dozen at that price.

Richie13

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
after a bit of trial with other balls, ad333 prov1/x im sticking with the nike pd soft great ball for my leval good of the tee and i can control them around the greens

as much as i like the prov1/x i just not good enough to play that ball purely because of the cost 3 rounds i have lost 4 pd softs and had they been prov's i'd have lost 12quids worth of balls compaired to the nikes 1quid a ball cost!!

johnboywalton

Head Pro
Visit site
Ok thanks! When my "free" balls have all gone, i will buy a dozen and try, hopefully my game would have improved by then and i will get a benefit from them :)