Ball Postion

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where should I have the ball in my stance for a 5 wood?

I Have my driver by my left heal (right handed golfer) and my irons in the middle of my stance hybrid slightly foward but was just wondering where I should be with my 5 wood.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Ball position is a tad individual - and can change depending on the shot being played - but the 'standard' approach is to progress consistently from the Driver just inside the left heel and end up with PW in middle of stance. So 5-wood a couple of balls back towards centre from Driver and a ball or so forward of hybrid - depending on which hybrid.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I like the ball around 2" behind my front heel with all clubs exept the driver where I have it 1" behind. I then move my back foot away to create the width of stance for each club.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
A useful tip I was given. Was to take up address position at the side of the ball, have a few practise swings. Look at the marks on the ground. Then set up to where you want the contact to be. Handy for up& downhill lies.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I like the ball around 2" behind my front heel with all clubs exept the driver where I have it 1" behind. I then move my back foot away to create the width of stance for each club.

Pretty much as I do Brian.

I try and play every ball 2 ball widths inside my left heel and move my right foot further over the longer the club gets.

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A useful tip I was given. Was to take up address position at the side of the ball, have a few practise swings. Look at the marks on the ground. Then set up to where you want the contact to be. Handy for up& downhill lies.

Great tip. Nearly every hole on my course is on hil, I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm an odd one on this. I like to play my driver 1-2 balls left of the middle of my stance and the only clubs I play further forward and long irons off the tee. Had lessons trying to alter this, but nothing seemed to help.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

must give this a go. thanks

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not only is ball position very important its how you achieve that position in relation to your feet etc

I like the feet both together at the ball, move left foot out slightly and move right foot wide or wider depending on the club, the ball it self doesnt move only your right foot in relation to your left ( rh golfer )

Givers the appearance the ball is moving from inside left heel to middle in relation to the other leg

This does give you a repeatable method of getting the ball in the correct position most times