Ball position?

alex57834

Club Champion
Visit site
My pro said I put my ball in the middle and said that I should put it past the middle and never back from the middle:confused:
If you get me. I just wanted a overall view where ppl put there ball for different clubs.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
My pro said I put my ball in the middle and said that I should put it past the middle and never back from the middle:confused:
If you get me. I just wanted a overall view where ppl put there ball for different clubs.

I play all clubs (except driver), 2 ball widths inside my left heel and vary my stance width to suit the club.

Curious to know why he advoctates never back of centre though?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I play all clubs (except driver), 2 ball widths inside my left heel and vary my stance width to suit the club.

Curious to know why he advoctates never back of centre though?

Do you play full shots with your feet less than 4 ball diameters apart :confused:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

that Q was for Gareth Alex, highlighting that what your pro is telling you is going to be consistent with what he (Gareth) sets out as his approach.

there are generally 2 schools of thought on ball position - the one outlined by Gareth that maintains the ball position relative to the front foot at all times, and one that has it moving back progressively towards the middle as the club being used gets shorter.

the former will have the ball slightly further forwards most of the time and, for me, is more logical.

this is of course for normal shots of level lies etc etc

SamQuirkePGA

Club Champion
www.samquirke.co.uk
What shot shape would you prefer to hit? The ball location will have a bearing on this.
In very basic terms: For the biggest pull fade the most forward. For the biggest push draw the most back.