Ball Position

stevo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi All

I have only been playing since Sept and i been looking at a few teaching Video's including some on Setanata's golf channel.

My question is about ball position,One video says play all iron shots with the ball just inside the left foot and some say move the ball back depending on the loft of the club.Which would be correct or is it just a case of what feel's comfortable.Hope this makes sense.

Any comments would be appreciated.

woolie

Visit site
i would say what feels comfy for u try a few diferent stances and see which one works best for u hopes this helps

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You'll find theories on ball position all day long. The only one that matters is the one you feel most consistent with. Go to a range and try moving the ball/your feet depending on the club and then try keeping it set.

I'm quite keen on left heel for woods, middle for irons, inside right heel for 9i thru to wedges. But it's what ever suits you.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play a 7,8,9,pw centre of stance and ,5,6 a bit further towards my left heel, 2,3,4, a touch further still.

Getting technical it depends on what
Trajectory, Shape, and Spin you want on the ball. but in general what i put above is my standard for a simple shot.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I was taught as a junior (way back when) that apart from the driver I could play everything off my left breast (its Sunday so no filth from you lot!!)

I got down to single figures so the theory must have been based on something concrete. However since coming back to golf at the start of the decade the teacher I had then (and the one I use now) both subscribe to the ball going progressivley back the shorter the irons.

I'm use to this method now although when I've been tinkering at the range I find I hit higher shots when the ball is hit from one spot. However as my swing is grooved for the different positions etc they can only be described as directionally challenged

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi All

I have only been playing since Sept and i been looking at a few teaching Video's including some on Setanata's golf channel.

My question is about ball position,One video says play all iron shots with the ball just inside the left foot and some say move the ball back depending on the loft of the club.Which would be correct or is it just a case of what feel's comfortable.Hope this makes sense.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Don't know if this helps but I would always be scared of placing the irons forward for fear of topping it but then the 'turf-then-ball' idea sunk in(not easy on the hardpan of a range mat I know).

This topping is also counteracted to some extent on the advanced position of the hands through impact.

I probably sign up to the ' generally further forward but moving back with with loft' school of things.

Try not to be afraid of taking a divot in front of the ball if you can. That's why we play on grass. A divot can tell you as much about your ball striking as your mates can. Depth, width and direction are revealing. Just make sure you replace it in all instances.

Hunting round the net and the will give you a broad idea of what passes for ball positioning.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In the opinion of my coach (who is one of the GM top 25) the ball position stays the same,the width of stance varies which effectively changes the position of the ball relative to the centre of stance.

He has taken me from 8 to 4 in two years so I trust him!

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the opinion of my coach (who is one of the GM top 25) the ball position stays the same,the width of stance varies which effectively changes the position of the ball relative to the centre of stance.

He has taken me from 8 to 4 in two years so I trust him!
elaborate please.

bunkered

Head Pro
Visit site
The ball position should never change, the only thing that you should move is the width of your stance, roughly shoulder width with the driver and long irons the bring your right foot in for the mid to short irons.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
The ball position should never change, the only thing that you should move is the width of your stance, roughly shoulder width with the driver and long irons the bring your right foot in for the mid to short irons.

This is the idea presented in "a swing for life" by Nick Faldo. It's not a bad idea per se but if you end up narrowing your stance with the short irons too much to keep the ball in the same place, it can become problematical. Despite this being a popular technique, and suggested by Faldo (and presumably DL), I don't ever remember thinking this way. I set up with my feet together and move accordingly, so for a driver, I only move my left foot a tiny bit to the left.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi MVP,divot has the right answer. The one modification I make is the same as realgolfer and only for the driver. This is more to do with a particular problem I have with that club though.