Ball position per club

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are we not all kind of skirting round the issue here?

One thing I've noticed (of late) is that the success of the shot and place of the divot is dependant on where the club bottoms out. This depends (does it not?) on your body movement, where your hands are at impact, where your head is (in my case) etc.etc.

If I put the ball for short clubs (9i/PW) dead centre, there's a chance I'll push it (or hook it) so for me, at the moment, I'm trying to sit the club in the middle of the stance making the ball a little forward. Certainly, my 7 and 8 irons are forward of centre.

Bad swing? Maybe...but there's no point fighting everything on the course, some days you've just got to go with your swing.

b.t.w. the further forward I play my driver, the better it gets. Even a ball back from left heel (inadvertently) and it'll just be negative loft. :(

Yes, I'm trying to fix it.

Patrick57

Head Pro
Visit site
Would you consider the below image regarding ball poistion/club correct?

Ballposition.jpg

If not, what would you change?

I would agree with these positions for a tour professional. I would put everything one ball back for a good single figure amateur but no further back than the middle. And for all the hackers out there - you know who you are...

two balls back for everything but no further back than the middle.

Luulox

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I use the Jack Nicklaus method of keeping the ball a little inside my left heel and then moving my right foot back and forward depending on the club. Right foot forward for shorter irons so the ball is fairly centered. Back a little more for longer irons and fairways, then back to shoulder width for driver.

This video explains quite well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr0JGugTu0I&feature=related
Seems a good clip, well explained. I am going to try this, thanks for posting
Cheers
Pete