Ball Position In Stance

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not really looking for advice here, moreso for the more knowledgeable sorts to share any theory or info about it.

Years ago when I was a total novice I recall being told (or reading somewhere) that ball position should vary depending on what club you're using. So driver is obviously near the left foot, but also your long irons would be left of centre, mid irons centre, short irons right of centre and wedges slightly more towards the right foot. Firstly, is that correct theory that is or used to be taught? Or have I totally mis-remembered that?

It's not something I ever really did anyway, at least not 100%. I certainly played all my mid-irons, short irons and wedges from the centre of my stance. But 5 and 6 iron I used to play with the ball slightly forward/left of centre. I think it was because it helps me with an old set of irons I had when I struggled with those two clubs. Late last year and with my current irons of course, I was still struggling until I had a mini-epiphany I thought, "why am I hitting my 6 iron any different to my 7 iron which I usually hit pretty well?" I started hitting the 6 iron with the ball in the middle of stance, and there was notable improvement.

Cut forward to this Saturday just gone, I'm using a relatively new hybrid, still working out how to hit one as I've said many times. Again this is a club I was still hitting slightly left of centre in my stance, as I thought this was the done thing I suppose. Often seem to fat it or top it. On the back nine I had another opportunity to hit the hybrid, thought I'd just try one out of the middle of the stance, and hit it about as flush as I ever hit a hybrid! It was pleasing.

So I'm starting to think this ball position stuff that I thought was golf theory is total bollards, or I've just been misinformed this entire time. What is the correct theory on ball position in stance?

(Note: I'd say driver is largely excused from this, as with the high tee and hitting up on the ball it's a different kettle of fish - for driving I have the ball right over by the left heel and intend to keep doing so.)

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
There's a theory that for all standard iron shots wedges included, ball position relative from the left foot and sternum should not change only the position of the right foot changes. The stance only gets wider in effect. Hogan was a big advocate of this, have to be honest unless im playing a low draw or have to get it up over a tree i dont ever really think about it

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you hit it well from a certain position then keep it there. Don't worry about the theory if your ball is going up the middle (y)
Oh yeah, I'm happy to do whatever works, you know me. I was just wondering what the real theory was behind it.

To expand maybe, if golf coaches were or are saying to adjust ball position, then why? What possible benefit could it bring? It seems like moving the ball forward would increase chances of thinning it, for example. And moving it back could mean topping it.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Oh yeah, I'm happy to do whatever works, you know me. I was just wondering what the real theory was behind it.

To expand maybe, if golf coaches were or are saying to adjust ball position, then why? What possible benefit could it bring? It seems like moving the ball forward would increase chances of thinning it, for example. And moving it back could mean topping it.
Not true as your shoulder alignment changes with ball position, also the plane you swing the club will change in a small way if you move it forward and back significantly. You can play a low draw and a high fade just by changing ball position and using the face to path differential to make the ball curve. All your doing is changing ball position, the rest takes care of itself

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not true as your shoulder alignment changes with ball position, also the plane you swing the club will change in a small way if you move it forward and back significantly. You can play a low draw and a high fade just by changing ball position and using the face to path differential to make the ball curve. All your doing is changing ball position, the rest takes care of itself
Christ, no wonder it didn't work for me then! o_O

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not really looking for advice here, moreso for the more knowledgeable sorts to share any theory or info about it.

Years ago when I was a total novice I recall being told (or reading somewhere) that ball position should vary depending on what club you're using. So driver is obviously near the left foot, but also your long irons would be left of centre, mid irons centre, short irons right of centre and wedges slightly more towards the right foot. Firstly, is that correct theory that is or used to be taught? Or have I totally mis-remembered that?

It's not something I ever really did anyway, at least not 100%. I certainly played all my mid-irons, short irons and wedges from the centre of my stance. But 5 and 6 iron I used to play with the ball slightly forward/left of centre. I think it was because it helps me with an old set of irons I had when I struggled with those two clubs. Late last year and with my current irons of course, I was still struggling until I had a mini-epiphany I thought, "why am I hitting my 6 iron any different to my 7 iron which I usually hit pretty well?" I started hitting the 6 iron with the ball in the middle of stance, and there was notable improvement.

Cut forward to this Saturday just gone, I'm using a relatively new hybrid, still working out how to hit one as I've said many times. Again this is a club I was still hitting slightly left of centre in my stance, as I thought this was the done thing I suppose. Often seem to fat it or top it. On the back nine I had another opportunity to hit the hybrid, thought I'd just try one out of the middle of the stance, and hit it about as flush as I ever hit a hybrid! It was pleasing.

So I'm starting to think this ball position stuff that I thought was golf theory is total bollards, or I've just been misinformed this entire time. What is the correct theory on ball position in stance?

(Note: I'd say driver is largely excused from this, as with the high tee and hitting up on the ball it's a different kettle of fish - for driving I have the ball right over by the left heel and intend to keep doing so.)
or it may be nothing to do with where the ball is and you just might not be very good;)

Wolf

Visit site
I think it all depends on what you read and who the instructor is telling you. I remember reading a few old books of my dad's that had images of I think was a drawn picture of Nicklaus with the ball just inside left heel on every shot only difference was the stance got a little wider as clubs got longer.

Then I've seen other things about playing most shots from the middle etc, I also like the Hogan tip about ball position and width of stance. There so many things in this game that vary from player to player and instructor to instructor.

The most important thing is find what works for you and work on repeating that pattern. For me it's easy I play One Length Irons now and ball position and set up is literally the same for each iron on a standard shot makes me have less to think about and long irons have never been so consistent.

As for hybrids play it like an iron and not a wood then should all be OK.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was taught something similar except that the ball should not be behind centre for a standard shot.

I only have the ball behind centre for a speciality shot eg deliberately trying to keep the ball flight low or greenside chip and run with a wedge.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Understanding why the ball is moved forward in your stance the longer the club gets is the important point. That will also aid in being able to move your ball flight up and down.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
#2 covers it.

Here's the apparently missing link....the ball isn't moved forwards!

Your right foot moves away from ball as the shaft shortens.

Your left foot should be a constant in all your swings - the ball is positioned relative to that to provide the best opportunity for consistent strike.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I would say there is nothing really wrong with erring on the side of neutral positions in terms of having clubs more in the centre of your stance.

This was a great fix for my driver as it had gotten almost outside my left foot. Now it’s well inside with a narrower stance.

Likewise the lessons I’ve had with short game, he has encouraged me to keep the ball central and gotten good results.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would say there is nothing really wrong with erring on the side of neutral positions in terms of having clubs more in the centre of your stance.

This was a great fix for my driver as it had gotten almost outside my left foot. Now it’s well inside with a narrower stance.

Likewise the lessons I’ve had with short game, he has encouraged me to keep the ball central and gotten good results.
This for me play everything from centre of stance even my fairways.
Driver is off left nipple , no carry on reply’s nessesary.
I have a - AOA and this is just what suits me.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
It must have been old school PGA fundamentals as I was taught exactly as OP’s first post by a really old school coach. I didn’t really ever question it as I was a junior and he taught all in the academy that way.

One characteristic of a good majority of his juniors however was high ball flight.

I now hit all of my irons in a constant ball position, slightly left of centre and just move the right foot to widen my stance the longer the iron is. Shorter wedge and iron shots narrower stance with a little more weight shifted into my left foot.

Only clubs that moves for me really is driver as I like to tee it high and give it some welly. 3 wood is a touch more forward but not much.

I had to change what I was originally taught when I was hitting 2 Iron approach shots with a ballooning ball flight.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I hope Bob will be along to verify this, but when I was taught back in the mid 70's the method was to play everything off the left breast and simply narrow or widen the stance depending on the club. It's a method I went back to before Christmas and has coincided with my current decent run of form including a third in the new years comp last week and my win this. I find it has given me a consistent bottom of the arc and a crisper strike.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I also read a piece of advice (no idea where) that for those of us off high handicaps, for normal shots just have one stance/ball position and get that right before starting to mess with moving its position in the swing
And while the OP (& I) are still off 20 then I'd suggest we don't have that one single consistent stance/ball position nailed yet