ball moving on green

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
guys / gals whats the new ruling on this .. the scenario is mark & clean my ball , replace it & step back to hve a look at the line .. the wind moves the ball.. 18-1 says i just replace the ball no penalty ..

was there not a big discussion on here regarding this around jan saying if it moved it you play it from the new position ? some part of me remembers a post that said if it blows in the hole great , if it blows it in the bunker, tough..

Whats was the rule change please .. Thanks

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wind is not an "outside agency" (see definitions) so Rule 18-1 doesn't apply. Ball is played as it lies.

Rule change is for when the wind causes a ball to move after address. Previously if a ball moved after address it was a penalty shot and ball had to be replaced. The relevant rule (18-2b) now includeds the following

"Exception: If it is known or virtually certain that the player did not cause his ball to move, Rule 18-2b does not apply."

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wind is not an "outside agency" (see definitions) so Rule 18-1 doesn't apply. Ball is played as it lies.

Rule change is for when the wind causes a ball to move after address. Previously if a ball moved after address it was a penalty shot and ball had to be replaced. The relevant rule (18-2b) now includeds the following

"Exception: If it is known or virtually certain that the player did not cause his ball to move, Rule 18-2b does not apply."

18-2b isn't relevant either here as the ball hasn't been addressed.

there is a note to 18-1 that explains that if it's not moved by an OA, and agree wind isn't one, then the ball is played from it's new position. there's also a reference under 20 3 (d) - but it's hard to say either are applicable rules given their titles!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
For heaven's sake guys!

This rule change has been in nearly 4 months, discussed here a lot and you still don't it! How can you complain about ANYTHING fellow golfers do if you don't keep up with rule changes when they are so widely publicised!

Here's the details from the R&A site:

Rule 18-2b. Ball Moving After Address

A new Exception is added that exonerates the player from penalty if his ball moves after it has been addressed when it is known or virtually certain that he did not cause the ball to move. For example, if it is a gust of wind that moves the ball after it has been addressed, there is no penalty and the ball is played from its new position.

VIDEO: Rule 18-2b Explained

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks guys , i was asked this in the clubhouse today after my round , i said as far as i know its played from where it ends up no penalty & mentioned it was discussed on here & i was contradictided by all but 1 .. just asking for my own future reference.. i think the confusion was that some classed the wind as an outside agency .. thanks for your help ..

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
For heaven's sake guys!

This rule change has been in nearly 4 months, discussed here a lot and you still don't it! How can you complain about ANYTHING fellow golfers do if you don't keep up with rule changes when they are so widely publicised!

Chill wee man. Do you know all the rules?