Ball moved at address

Gazcobain

Visit site
Playing down the 9th last night, my second lands just off the back of the green. When I went to play it, I noticed it was in a rabbit hole so free relief. Problem is that I was on a hill that extends all the way back to OOB stakes, so I couldn't take it further back. Had to go through the procedure of dropping twice (each time the ball bounced and rolled onto the green due to the hill) before placing my ball on the hill. When addressing the ball it rolled onto the green. Both I and my playing partners agree it was certain the hill and not my actions had caused the ball to move. Is this a penalty stroke or not?

Thanks!

atticusfinch

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If the ball was a t rest and there is virtual certainty you did not cause it to move, no penalty play it as it lies.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
A hill is an inanimate object and cannot cause a ball to move. If you placed it and it stayed where it was then a gust of wind caused it to roll on then that would be ok. play where comes to rest. in the absence of any such influence and the fact it didnt move until you addressed it then it would be hard to be certain that you did not cause the ball to move when addressing it. I'd say replace and penalty based on the info you have given.

D

Deleted member 15344

Surely on a hill the ball could easily move without being touch due to gravity ?

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The commentators were pretty sure that there would be a penalty as he did seem to have grounded his club and the 2 markers looked to be at least an inch apart.

pogle

Head Pro
Visit site
Surely on a hill the ball could easily move without being touch due to gravity ?

Gravity could cause the ball to move, but the player still incurs a penalty if he has addressed the ball before it moves. New Decision 18-2b/1 explicitly states that gravity does NOT satisfy the recently introduced exception that absolves the player of penalty if the ball moves after being addressed.

D

Deleted member 15344

The commentators were pretty sure that there would be a penalty as he did seem to have grounded his club and the 2 markers looked to be at least an inch apart.

Yeah it appears they checked the video and said that everything was fine and didn't move when addressed so got no penalty