Ball makes whistling noise

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A few weeks ago I thought my grip with my left hand was weak so I strengthend it. Result was when the ball was struck and divot taken it flew off making a whistling noise as it flew through the air. Now when I change things I tend to over exaggerate and at the range the next day the ball was pulling/hooking left - cause left hand too strong.
So today at the practice area I focused on maintaining the slight bow at address with my left hand, I think I tend to let this collapse through the swing - result divot taken nice flight but no whistle sound.
Is this whistle the sound you want when hitting the ball, ie compressed right/ pure strike.
Furthermore I wonder when I first strengthend my grip and got the whistling sound this created the correct amount of shaft lean at address. Maybe I'm not creating enough shaft lean at address.
Realise it's hard to see with no video, but any feedback based on above would be appreciated.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
A few weeks ago I thought my grip with my left hand was weak so I strengthend it. Result was when the ball was struck and divot taken it flew off making a whistling noise as it flew through the air. Now when I change things I tend to over exaggerate and at the range the next day the ball was pulling/hooking left - cause left hand too strong.
So today at the practice area I focused on maintaining the slight bow at address with my left hand, I think I tend to let this collapse through the swing - result divot taken nice flight but no whistle sound.
Is this whistle the sound you want when hitting the ball, ie compressed right/ pure strike.
Furthermore I wonder when I first strengthend my grip and got the whistling sound this created the correct amount of shaft lean at address. Maybe I'm not creating enough shaft lean at address.
Realise it's hard to see with no video, but any feedback based on above would be appreciated.
:whistle:like that. Sorry I couldn't resist, maybe a few of our lady members get the same whistle.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

What handicap are you - you are talking a lot of technical 'swing fiddling' stuff - and I've never heard a ball whistle of the club face - heard a lot of 'flub' sort of noises but never a whistle - other than in days of yore when knights were bold and women weren't etc...and I played with balls with cover cut to varying degrees. THEN they could make whistling noises.

Otherwise - sorry no idea - but I wouldn't go seeking it by tweaking this, that and the other

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
when my nephew cracks a 3 iron it takes off low and rises slowly while fizzing through the air. it really is a sight/sound to be hold.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You are thinking too much imo!

That said, the sound of ball through the air when hit solidly by a Pro is distinctive - though a wind rushing one rather than a whistle. If you are still hearing that as the ball is 100yds away, you could well have an ear problem!

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
OK lads, very funny.

The sound is more like a Fizz as mentioned by garyindery. Also misled when I said bow in left hand, I meant maintaining the arch in my left wrist so that I can see the logo on the back of my glove.