Ball lost in tree

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why is it that you dont need to be able to see/find your ball in a hazard but you get to drop at the side/behind the hazard, but you get no other option but a lost ball and a walk back if it is stuck up a tree that all players in a group accept that the ball went into the tree and didnt come down, but which cant be seen nor safely looked for without putting one's life at risk ?

Seems harsh when compared to the hazard relief that is available?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think you are comparing the wrong things.

Compare
If you put your ball in a water hazard and find it, you can elect to play from next to the hazard under penalty. You do not have to go back to where you last played from.
With
If you know or are virtually certain your ball went into the hazard but you can't find it, it is fair that you are allowed the same options under penalty.

Losing your ball up a tree doesn't really bear any comparison with that. It does, however, bear comparison with losing your ball anywhere - like in a bush, in 3 feet high grass, in a whole lot of trees.....

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Might it be because there is reasonable doubt whether it's stuck up there? Once a ball hits a tree it can rebound off in any which way it chooses and can be hard to spot that it has in fact come out?

I was "lucky" on our 11th a few weeks back when I hit a wedge not expecting to get so high so quick and we all waited for the ball to emerge but nothing. We did manage to see it in the tree and even retrieve it.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
yes, that's a fair point, but what i was wondering is that you can use reasonable certainty for determining if something is in a hazard, so why not reasonable cetainty for a tree

But of course, you are right :)

We have had 3 balls in 3 rounds stay up a very green tree on our 12th fairway in eth last couple of weeks

DCB

Visit site
Surely it's not something that's likely to happen much nowadays since not many people carry a tree iron in their bag any more :eek:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
If people didnt think that losing a ball in the trees, and being penalised was fair, woodn't they ask for a root and branch review of the rules. We could leave out all the other silly rules so as not to bark up the wrong tree and make peoples sap rise and hope that R and A would twig on that we meant business!

I'm off !