Ball embedded in bunker face - preferred lies

ChrisWelsh

Hacker
Visit site
I was playing at the weekend and played a shot which embedded in the face of a bunker.

I removed the ball from the face and dropped it in the bunker as there was no way of having the ball placed on the face and remain stationary.

Was that correct? I had a skim through the rules and *think* that was the right thing.

However, one additional factor was that preferred lies were in operation so does that change anything? Couldn't find anything to clarify that for me either but this seems a very specific scenario.

ChrisWelsh

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks. It was a friendly bounce game and I didn't score anything, so no consequences but it did set me thinking.

As the bank of the bunk was not "closely mown" then I assume I would have to count a penalty stroke for the drop?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Correct. You were in effect proceeding under rule 28 (ball unplayable).

But just a couple of questions.

Was the face grass covered? Was there a local rule in force permitting relief for a ball embedded through the green?

Incidentally, you would not have been permitted to place your ball once you picked it up unless you were replacing it back in its hole. Still with the 1 stroke penalty of course.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
as Old Skier references, the key element is that " An embedded ball is considered to be lying in the part of the course where it entered the ground."

which brings up the question of the status of the bunker face! basically if it's closely mown grass then it's not bunker.

On the basis that it's in the bunker then you are permitted to deem the ball unplayable and either drop it, within 2cl or go back in line with the hole within that bunker, or replay your last shot - all for 1 shot penalty.