Ball buried in aeration slit

Sam_R

Visit site
Hi, When I was practicing last night I hit a drive onto the fairway and when I got to my ball it was buried in an aeration slit. I have been trying to confirm what the ruling should have been if this was in a comp. The slits were cut into the fairway a few weeks ago and the dry weather has caused the slits to turn into cracks, some of which are quite big. My ball was unplayable so what should happen?

I have read the embedded ball rule but this says it must be buried in it own pitch mark - it wasn't, I saw it rolling. The abnormal course condition rule says aeration holes are not an abnormal course condition. It wasn't an animal hole.

Is this a free drop or would I have to take an unplayable?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Have your club put a local rule in place to cover this?

Sam_R

Visit site
Not sure on that one, I a new member so have been practicing on my own. Aiming to play on Saturday so will check when I am there. Does that mean there could be one that allows a free drop otherwise unplayable?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
AS per drive4show
Check the local rules.

If the ball was buried in the aeration slot as result of the shot and that is were it landed there would also be relief for ball embedded in its own pitch mark.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
A Local Rule needs to be in place

E-4 Relief from Aeration Holes
Purpose. Aeration holes do not fall within the meaning of holes made by the maintenance staff. Therefore players are not permitted to repair them on the putting green (see Rule 13.1c) or take free relief from them in the general area, but such holes can interfere with the proper playing of the game. If the Committee declares aeration holes to be ground under repair, a player may find it impractical or impossible to obtain complete relief.

Therefore, when recent aeration holes may significantly interfere with the lie of the ball or area of intended swing, the Committee can choose to give relief as it would for ground under repair but exclude relief for interference to the player’s stance. This Local Rule should be withdrawn when the aeration holes have healed enough to avoid significant interference.

Model Local Rule E-4
“If a player’s ball lies in or touches an aeration hole:

(a) Ball in General Area. The player may take relief under Rule 16.1b. If the ball comes to rest in another aeration hole the player may take relief again under this Local Rule.

(b) Ball on Putting Green. The player may take relief under Rule 16.1d.

But interference does not exist if the aeration hole only interferes with the player’s stance or, on the putting green, on the player’s line of play.

F-7 Relief from Seams of Cut Turf
Purpose. A portion of the course that has been repaired with cut turf is often marked as ground under repair until it is stable enough for play.

But when the area of turf itself no longer needs to be marked as ground under repair, the Committee may still choose to allow relief when:

• A ball lies in one of the cut turf seams (also known as sod seams).
  • A seam interferes with the player’s area of intended swing.
When such seams only interfere with the player’s stance, there is no need to allow relief.

Model Local Rule F-7
“If a player’s ball lies in or touches a seam of cut turf or a seam interferes with the player’s area of intended swing:

(a) Ball in General Area. The player may take relief under Rule 16.1b.

(b) Ball on Putting Green. The player may take relief under Rule 16.1d.

But interference does not exist if the seam only interferes with the player’s stance.

All seams within the area of cut turf are treated as the same seam in taking relief. This means that if a player has interference from any seam after dropping the ball, the player must proceed as required under Rule 14.3c(2) even when the ball is still within one club-length of the reference point.

Penalty for Playing Ball from a Wrong Place in Breach of Local Rule: General Penalty Under Rule 14.7a.”

F-8 Relief from Cracks in Ground
Purpose. In hot and dry conditions, the fairways of a course may suffer due to cracks in the ground. The lie of a ball could be seriously affected if it comes to rest in such a crack, but a player’s stance may not be hindered by the condition, in which case a Local Rule that gives relief for the lie of ball and area of intended swing only is recommended.

Model Local Rule F-8
“Cracks in the ground in parts of the general area cut to fairway height or less are ground under repair. The player may take relief under Rule 16.1b.

[But interference does not exist if the crack only interferes with the player’s stance.]”

Last edited:

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Just for clarification, in the absence of a local rule is it just tough luck, you must play it as it lies or take unplayable relief under rule 19?