Ball above feet = big hook...

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi folks,
I'm having a little issue...

Basically, our third hole is a par five, right to left dogleg, OOB left. My issue is that the hole slopes severely from right to left and as a consequence I regularly hook my second or third shot out of bounds.

Does anyone have an idea how I can prevent myself from doing this?

Cheers
Strangely.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
You adjust your stance for the difference in ground levels. I tend to do that but also allow for a little right to left turn also.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
When the ball is above your feet, this normally happens.
You can either aim right to allow for it and swing normally holding the club down the grip a touch.
Or
Open the face a little at address to couteract the closing of the face through impact.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers guys. It makes the shot into the green very difficult because the OOB is a cart path left and there's a crater 20 feet deep to the right, so overdo the hook and it's lost and play for the hook to not get it and you're down the hole. The green is only about ten paces wide at it's widest.

Maybe I should lay up and hope for a chip and a putt (or two) :)

Thanks again!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
The longer the club the bigger the hook you are likely to hit. Why not hit two medium irons grip down and aim just a little right. Might be worth practicing the shot until you are confident with it.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's been 6 and 7 irons that I've been hitting in with the big hook. Maybe I should try and get a bit further down with the 2nd shot so I'm hitting a shorter iron.

Lots to think about :)

Cheers
P

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If its a par 5 then logic says take something easy to hit, swing easily and make sure you leave a 3rd shot in. If its from <120 yards then you will have a good chance of an up and down for birdie anyway

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As Bob said open the face a bit to send the ball off further right. Grip down the club a little and make sure you maintain your spine angle through the shot. More of a punch type shot will help to reduce the hooking effect.