Bad service at AG store (no surprise there then)

Grumps

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just popped into AG corstorphine banch in Edinburgh to pick up a couple of grips and tape but when I asked the lady unpacking boxes she said "they only have the 2 types and not getting any more in". so when I asked if they had a roll of tape she replied "yes but not to sell go get some from a DIY store as its only 2 sided masking tape" . I said I had checked AG online and they did sell to customers which she replied "we don't encourage self regripping but if its online then I can order it online if I don't want to go to DIY store" . :rant:
I will get them online but not from AG website that's for sure :ears:

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
My Dad went into the one in Livingston and, while he couldn't buy any grip tape, one of the guys game him a couple of feet of tape from the workshop.

It seems a bit cynical that they don't sell grip tape.

cs1986

Club Champion
Visit site
Assuming AG is American Golf (Im a newbie here, dont laugh) haha...Im not too keen on the shop. I often feel like the staff look down on you a bit and think they are big shots and then when they arent doing that they are following you round the shop trying to sell you stuff you dont need. I just never feel too comfortable in American Golf

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As much as AG would like to appear to act like your local club pro, they are a business based on selling big margin goods which require minimum input from staff. Best to go to a place like Gamola Golf for DIY regripping.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi cs hello and welcome, enjoy!

AG is American golf, you'll soon get to spot regular initials.
I bought my grip tape online and cut in strips rather than a roll found it easier to apply about 15 pieces for £4 delivered I think.
Hope you told the kind lady to stick her grips too as you were ordering online you may as well order it all together! :)

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got to admit so far this year there isn't much love for AG & their customer service, I had 2 instances myself toward start of the year for which they eventually sent me £50 in vouchers after lots of grumbling to their H/O. Gave the vouchers away as I won't return after the service I had.

Grips and tape there isn't anywhere better than Gamola if your ordering online. If I buy them from a shop I go to golfgeardirect as they are not far from me and the manager is a friend of my brothers and son of my dads mate. If you buy grips in their store and want DIY they don't sell the tape they give you what you need for the amount of grips you've bought FOC. Little things like that are what keep people coming back.

cs1986

Club Champion
Visit site
Little off topic but how much should you expect to pay for re-gripping of a full set of irons. Not talking top of the range grips, just mid-range decent ones.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
AG have not got a good reputation generally. It does seem to vary from store to store. Some employ spotty oiks that are just interested in flogging you the stuff where they make the best comission on usually low budget brands. Others however do seem to have some decent staff in the shop that do care and actually know what they are talking about. However my experience with AG was not so good when I went on one of their launch monitors to hit some shots with different iron sets. I normally hit my 7 iron around 150 yards, when I hit one on the launch monitor it measured me at 182 yards which is impossible for me never have never will. Anyway I told him his machine must be set up wrong and was told in no uncertain terms that it wasn't and it was down to the quality of the club I was hitting!! the club in question was a Titleist 712MB. Would not use AG personally

mykweb

Assistant Pro
www.mykweb.co.uk
According to all the bumf from AG they have a PGA pro in every store...

As said above I have been to AG and had poor service. One guy actually tried to sell me a driver that was not correct for me. His selling pitch was "its white" LOL

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
According to all the bumf from AG they have a PGA pro in every store...

As said above I have been to AG and had poor service. One guy actually tried to sell me a driver that was not correct for me. His selling pitch was "its white" LOL

Certainly was not one dealing with the launch monitor upon my visit. IMO only PGA Pro's should be manning the launch monitors in their shops or any others for that matter

mykweb

Assistant Pro
www.mykweb.co.uk
Certainly was not one dealing with the launch monitor upon my visit. IMO only PGA Pro's should be manning the launch monitors in their shops or any others for that matter

Agree totally, especially when beginners are relying on them advising on the best equipment for there game. I still prefer Direct Golf. Purely because the staff are nice, good deals, they openly advertise price matching and more importantly they are there to help.

But on then I do like my local Edinburgh Golf Centre.

CallawayKid

Q-School Graduate
www.regimentway.co.uk
I have received mostly good service from AG, there was one occasion when I was left waiting at the checkout for too long so I just left. Had a chat with the manager next time I was in, big apology followed by money off of my purchase. Since that day always had the best service.

With regards to DG I have had the opposite, and I gave them lots of chances.

Each to their own I guess.

CK

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Simple double sided tape for me ... Can't see why I would ever need to buy 'grip tape'. Same can be said for grip solvent, I just use white spirits.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree totally, especially when beginners are relying on them advising on the best equipment for there game. I still prefer Direct Golf. Purely because the staff are nice, good deals, they openly advertise price matching and more importantly they are there to help.

But on then I do like my local Edinburgh Golf Centre.

Begginers are possibly who they are targeting TBH so they can tell them owt and sell the owt. The readings I was getting were just bobbins I could stand on a range all day and not hit a 7 iron that far. Cannot comment on DG as I have never been in one of their stores. Support your local independents if you can and good on you for doing so

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Why are people still using AG? its owned by a bank and all they care about is how much they shift.If you want a personal service use your local pro shop,simple ;)

steveh

Club Champion
Visit site
In the interests of balance I've had a couple of recent good experiences at their stockport store. They sent my driver back to Ping for repair, even though I bought it on eBay. Then at weekend they swapped my Mizuno bag where the stitching had started to come away with no fuss at all.

Got to say I've only had positive experiences so far if you don't mind the constant "are you ok for balls and tees" every visit!