Bad ettiquette or Short Fuse?

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So I was playing in a 4 ball and 2 of the guys were carrying on as if they were interviewing for a commentary job on Sky Sports.

My question is this, after someone hits a shot, whether bad or good, is it bad ettiquette to comment on their shot?
e.g. "Your are in the bunker! Going to be tough to get out of there!"
"You are on the fairway, but a bit short, probably because you are fading it a bit, next time release more"

You get the idea, and all this Martin Tyler commentary was one way traffic. So, my questions are:
1) Does it bother me because I have a short fuse?
2) Would it bother others on this forum?
3) Is it considered okay in terms of golf ettiquette to make these kind of comments?

Needless to say I will never play with them again, but I wanted to see what others think

Cheers,

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
GS, Depends on a couple of things for me, firstly if i know them well i can always tell them to 'wrap it', secondly, if i'm playing well i don't tend to notice much, but if i'm playing badly i notice everything around me. I certainly don't like a round to be silent with only the polite 'good shot' etc being passed, but i certainly would hate to have a 'running commentary'. Just avoid them in future.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
They want to be careful. Telling you to release more next time is giving advice so they could be up for a penalty.

This sort of "banter" is normal in the Friday round with Fragger and CVG.
If they keep doing it to you, give them some back - oh too bad, you've gone behind that tree, that's going to be tricky......

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So the general consensus is that most people don't like it and basically just stop playing with these people?

I have played football at a competitive level and when someone starts chirping you on the field like that, you normally just kick them into the stands

SG86

Medal Winner
Visit site
I used to play with a guy who was terrible, the ball would of just left the face and he would be "fantastic shot" as the ball slices out of bounds, or "not a good one there" as you hit a perfect draw 3ft from the pin!

It got to the point where I told him in not such a polite way that untill he shut up after the ball hand landed I would tell his wife about how much he spent on golf on a regular basis.

Needless to say he was posted somewhere else, but on our occasional renuions he is still the same.

Some poeple won't change.

I did hear from a new member of my saturday roll up who is a bit of a n*b "if you could putt SG86 you'd be single figures" to which I replied "if you could break 110, would be a worthy playing partner". The last saturday he decided not play stating he felt he couldn't be "himself" on the course.

He can be himself but when it comes to critising my game, thats just being a co*k.

SG86

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Personally I think the occasional "good shot" is polite and perfectly acceptable, but if someone was doing a running commentary and commenting on my bad shots, I would without hesitation give them a piece of my mind

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
They want to be careful. Telling you to release more next time is giving advice so they could be up for a penalty.

think its a penalty if you ASK for advice, unless the rules have changed on that one as well

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I once played in the club championship with 2 other guys, one of whom had a sort of caddie. When i hit the 1st bad shot of the day on the 5th he started to sing "there will be trouble ahead" I pointed out to him that wearing my pitching wedge as a butt plug maybe more trouble than he had bargained for!He left me alone after that and spent the rest of the day irritating the other player to a point of nearly being bludgeoned to death!

Chris

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well it does look like from these posts that some people get bothered and others dont mind to much.

I am definitely in the I dont like it camp, but I guess I am going to need to learn how to deal with it, it has messed with a few of my rounds.

Considering actually tackling it head on by playing alot more with irritating people so that I get better at dealing with them and not letting it bother me so much.