Back to the same problem... The Driver... (video)

stanny2k

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm having serious problems with my driving again. Hitting a fairway is literally 4/18.

I've created a video (below) for you to take a look at see what you think... I can't quite figure out whats going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwnFpspoCnU

I've been holding onto £250 for 3 weeks now, as I'm reluctant to waste another £150-£200 on a driver when 2 months later I put it on eBay. Its clearly not the driver thats the problem, it's me & my swing.

I've got a video lesson booked this evening with my local pro to hopefully nail this problem on the head, but it would be interesting to see what you guys think first.

Thanks a lot.

Ryan

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looks a little over the top/out to in to me, kind of like how I used to swing. Do most of your shots start left (or straight) but end up right?

(The guys who actually know what they're talking about will be along shortly to assist! :D)

stanny2k

Medal Winner
Visit site
Well, that's the thing. My shots fly off left, but then end up swinging right, but ending up in the middle of the fairway... This doesn't always happen or I probably wouldn't be here complaining. But the times that does happen is the very few times I hit a fairway.

I tend to pull my shots left now, rather than slicing them. I rarely slice, although I'm not saying I don't.

Thanks for your reply.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Huge huge over swing, followed by a massive over the top action and a swing that then goes left, cutting across the ball.

Stopping your swing at horizontal would help a lot, and then you could get on plane, and hit a bit from the inside. At the moment your over swing causes you all sorts of bother.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Massive over swing, plus out to in. Are the most obvious things. If the ball is going straight left. It normally means. The club face is square at impact. But the swing path is out to in. so sending the ball off to the left.

stanny2k

Medal Winner
Visit site
Stopping your swing at horizontal would help a lot, and then you could get on plane, and hit a bit from the inside. At the moment your over swing causes you all sorts of bother.

I see what you mean. So, going back to the video, if I stop my swing at 29-30 seconds, that is what you mean by horizontal?

Massive over swing, plus out to in. Are the most obvious things. If the ball is going straight left. It normally means. The club face is square at impact. But the swing path is out to in. so sending the ball off to the left.

Yeah thats exactly whats happening, my balls rocket off left more than they go straight...

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Donald_2.jpg

This is a great position to get in half way down.

If you compare this to yours, you will see that it is miles different.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Yeah, if I'm seeing it right, I'm hacking down at the ball, rather than come around through it as I do during my take off... Is that right?

Pretty much, although it can be more complicated.

Luke Donald is holding his wrist angles, to store power, and he is definitely coming from the inside to deliver a solid hit. This is something I have spent the last 4 months working on, and I'm still not there. Your swing starts by heaving the club over your shoulder, and then as you say, hacking down and across it. The old killing a snake in a phone box. When you keep the club face square to your swing path, then you pull it left. If you open the club face, big slice.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I see what you mean. Jim Furyk style! Very unorthodox

What tips have you been given/videos you've watched to help cure this problem over the past 4 months?

Thanks!

I can't speak for Murph, but I've been battling an over the top swing like yours and the "headcover drill" helps you to attack the ball from the inside to stop you from coming over the top.

Here's the one done by our very own Bobmac: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsrovFJ3o9I

It helped me no end.

stanny2k

Medal Winner
Visit site
I can't speak for Murph, but I've been battling an over the top swing like yours and the "headcover drill" helps you to attack the ball from the inside to stop you from coming over the top.

Here's the one done by our very own Bobmac: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsrovFJ3o9I

It helped me no end.

Ahh Bobmac, he's given me advice before. Great stuff. I'll use this drill. Thank you.

stanny2k

Medal Winner
Visit site
I also have another question around this then... I've recently sold my driver (R9 Supertri) thinking that that was the problem... We've clearly seen that its not... But my bag is without a driver at the moment, although the way I'm playing with it, its probably not a bad thing...

I have a lesson this evening to try and work through this problem... but I'm going to need to be purchasing a driver sometime soon... Anyone recommend any? Probably slightly irrelevant until I get this problem sorted mind..

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You really need to get your swing sorted before buying another driver. A lot could change in your swing quite quickly.

Hard to help you with tips, as I have been having a lot of lessons trying to un do 20 odd years of golf. It has been a bit of a shock how hard it is to change things, and I have put a heck of a lot of time in, for not much gain. On slow mo video, I am starting to look like a golfer, but at full speed, I don't, and my ball contact is poor. It is coming though, gradually.

Changing this (your) swing won't be a quick fix, but it will be worth it in the end.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I also have another question around this then... I've recently sold my driver (R9 Supertri) thinking that that was the problem... We've clearly seen that its not... But my bag is without a driver at the moment, although the way I'm playing with it, its probably not a bad thing...

I have a lesson this evening to try and work through this problem... but I'm going to need to be purchasing a driver sometime soon... Anyone recommend any? Probably slightly irrelevant until I get this problem sorted mind..

You really need to try out a lot of different ones to find which is best for you.

I can highly recommend the Mizuno JPX though. I struggled off the tee no end when I had my R11 last year. Since then, I'm hitting more and more fairways and the bad shots are a lot less destructive.

But it's really best to try out as many as you can before making a decision.

stanny2k

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thats the thing, for the past two days I've been trying out various drivers but not having any success with them which is clearly due to my swing problems.

I've tried:

Ping i20
Ping G20
Taylormade R11s
Taylormade RBZ
Mizuno MP 650
Callaway RAZR Fit

But as I've said, I'm never going to get a decent run with any of these drivers unless my swing technique changes.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where do you have your lessons? I'm booked in tom lunchtime at Cardiff Golf Centre,I can highly recommend Daryl as he sorts me out in around 3 swings. All the drivers you mentioned are good drivers,nobody makes bad ones these day cept Dunlop,try some of the MD stuff if you don't want to spend to much it's very good for the price.Cardiff golf centre also have some deals going on older models,the Srixon WR is £50 and there were a few others in there as well.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Thats the thing, for the past two days I've been trying out various drivers but not having any success with them which is clearly due to my swing problems.

I've tried:

Ping i20
Ping G20
Taylormade R11s
Taylormade RBZ
Mizuno MP 650
Callaway RAZR Fit

But as I've said, I'm never going to get a decent run with any of these drivers unless my swing technique changes.

after the lesson have a look at the Mizuno MP630 its under £99 now as the 650 is out, its a great club and excellent Fubuki shaft.

However, no club will fix a poor swing. I must add though that at address the posture looks good, you start back too straight then it all goes Pete Tong after that.
Check out Mark Crossfield videos, he had one very recently that was aimed exactly at you, it shows your faults and why it happens and how to fix it

Good luck