Back into Golf

JimmyJay

Visit site
Hi all, i've recently decided after 30 years to come back to the game of golf, I played a lot as a junior at a really good golf club here in South Wales. I only left the club after I was out of full time education as the membership price jumped to something I could not afford, and hence why I lost interest in golf.

30 years later, I am in the exact same position, I do not work due to ill health (mental health) and my income is no where near high enough to re-join that club or join any other club near me.

Thankfully there is a pay to play course very close that I will frequent, but during the summer months, I would probably play 2-3 times a week, which makes it too expensive, so a full membership would be better, but as I said, membership prices are far too high .

While I fully understand why membership prices are high ,I also feel there could be a concession for people like myself, and others, who'd love to play golf but just can't simply afford the membership. I am disappointed after many years to see this is not the case.

So I really wonder how I am going to regularly play golf ? I have seen the playmore golf scheme, but I am uncertain how it works, and also, the club in question have said they won't take any more playmore golf members there. And there are no more courses near me that use the scheme.

I am really at a loss, so any advice would be appreciated.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Which end of South Wales are you, as I would say in the SE of Wales there are range of less expensive places to pay and play, many courses allow monthly payments of subs... I guess it depends on your budget... Big change in the intervening time since you were a junior is the reduction in prices for younger members. Some clubs graduate the subs up to age 30 or 35. But sounds like youve missed that now!

JimmyJay

Visit site
I am near Bridgend, so thankfully a couple of pay to play courses, but the ones i've so far approached don't offer monthly payments anymore, they want the year up front.

I have missed any younger offers lol im 46 now, but I do feel a bit miffed that there are no concessional memberships for those that qualify, at least none I can find.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I too was thinking of clubs that let you pay your subscription monthly by direct debit.
It maybe worthwhile approaching the secretary of various clubs and see if they have any arrangements in place to help certain “categories”. I’m aware of clubs who offer discounts to offshore/people working away.
The other option is cheap online course bookings, but that will prove difficult in summer.
I hope you get something sorted and best wishes for your mental health ?

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Golf Pass membership which is an online video service is £99 a year but you get £25 per month to use on the Golf Now tee time booking site on their Hot Deals which are basically special offers covering selected tee times daily. That's up to £300 worth of green fee for £99....good value if you're happy playing different courses and just going out for a game yourself. Could perhaps combine that with the odd pay and play in the summer months.

I don't know your area at all but just did a search on Golf Now and there's seems to be quite a few courses within 20 miles of Bridgend which do Hot Deals.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would look at places where you buy credits and can then use them depending on when you play (cheaper weekday than weekend) and can be topped up. Alternatively, my club allows me to spread the cost via a monthly DD and other clubs use firms like Fairway Credit to run their DD scheme