Awful round...

JMSAFC87

Visit site
So this last month I have played arguably the best golf I have ever played. Played last night and had one of my worst ever rounds. Golf I suppose eh

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve been playing very well, had a few front 9’s with 21 points.
It is the March Medal today and I just knew it was going to be a bad one...

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had two of my best rounds recently and had a good feel for my swing. That was followed by 3 rounds of the worst golf I’ve played. It was like being a total beginner again. So much so I’m at the point now where if things don’t improve very quickly I’ll walk away from the game.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That is golf, but it works both ways.

Last May I scored 23 points on a society day, really struggling to hit my irons, and just two days later went out and won a board comp with 41 points.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought you had been watching me the last 2 Saturdays 😢.

I'm currently going through the Faldo / Leadbetter swing change. I'm experiencing the wilderness period right now 😄

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So this last month I have played arguably the best golf I have ever played. Played last night and had one of my worst ever rounds. Golf I suppose eh
It happens and it's a game that is always going to win ultimately. I know when I have the odd purple patch, expectation rises but at the same time I try and ride it as long as I can but when it comes crashing down it usually comes with no warning and in spectacular fashion. Don't worry about last night and just look forward to the next game and hopefully it'll be a lot better

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Had a Titleist fitting last Thursday and I must’ve hit 50 shanks....true story!!! 😂🙄 was shanking my own clubs too!! The fitter said to come back another time cos he couldn’t get any decent, consistent readings!

3 days prior and I played my best round in 12 months....43 points! 2 days after my abysmal fitting and I had 40 points!! Never struck my irons so well!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I had a shocker yesterday and blaming it firmly on the OP!!!! Seriously though, much like the OP, I played nicely on Saturday for 30 points but felt I struck it nicely and played better than the score suggests and that I left a load of points out there. Rocked up yesterday nice and confident and chopped it for no reason. Tried on each one but simply couldn't find anything that worked or was consistent

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a shocker yesterday and blaming it firmly on the OP!!!! Seriously though, much like the OP, I played nicely on Saturday for 30 points but felt I struck it nicely and played better than the score suggests and that I left a load of points out there. Rocked up yesterday nice and confident and chopped it for no reason. Tried on each one but simply couldn't find anything that worked or was consistent

Don't want to be rude or personal, it's just that you've been very open about your game and your method of attempting to improve- I was just wondering why, after all these lessons over the years that you aren't in a position to have a very good idea as to why you might be playing badly during a round?

I've had a series of lessons over the winter, and have seen huge improvements. I'm going to be having more throughout the season, one every 6-8 weeks. I'm now getting to a place where I know why I'm playing rubbish. I had a terrible round yesterday, and tried to use my new knowledge to improve, but I didn't much. I had tried everything I could remember being taught. It was only last night that I remembered one thing that I had been told that I didn't do (don't swing from the top numpty) and went out today and played really steadily.

Perhaps a wider debate, but should a good pro not teach you how to self-diagnose?