Attending my first golf event - looking for tips and advice

TigerTime

Visit site
So I will be attending my first ever golf event in a few weeks. The Scottish Open at the Renaissance Club.

Just looking for any general tips and advice or stuff to bring etc. Going on the Saturday and hoping to spend the day there.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Waterproofs. Money. You'll need both.

Personally, I'd get there as early as you can. Pick an early group, whether you know who they are or not, and follow around the course. Grab some lunch, then walk the course backwards, stopping at a few of the holes you enjoyed more the first time round.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Fill a backpack up with fluids and food/snacks! Otherwise it's likely to be a very expensive day!
Practice area is always worth a visit to see how easily Pros swing, yet hit it miles!
Decide whether to follow a particular group or find a convenient place to watch groups com through. Perhaps some of both!

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been to the British masters couple times

We walked a few holes following a group then stopped on a tee box and waited for a few groups to pass through .. until another group we wanted to follow

Going the open in few weeks hope to do same

Bring cash, last thing you want to carry is a bunch of food as you will need couple bottles water as it is

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Wear your golf shoes. Just in case a player gets ill and they ask the crowd for someone who knows how to play. ?
It's surprising just how many people are unaware of this. Why do people think that there are so many names around the bottom of the leaderboard, that we haven't heard of before?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Waterproofs. Money. You'll need both.

Personally, I'd get there as early as you can. Pick an early group, whether you know who they are or not, and follow around the course. Grab some lunch, then walk the course backwards, stopping at a few of the holes you enjoyed more the first time round.

this ?

Wear some.comfortable walking shoes/ boots.

golf shoes may be great for half a day but after 9/10 hours they 're not in my experience. The majority of the time you'll be standing still so something with great support.
there are usually places you can fill up water bottles too.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I like to mix up the day. A bit of following a group, bit of sitting at the back of greens.

Mostly on course catering is poor and expensive. There are excellent exceptions.

I take a small backpack with waterproofs in (if forecast suggests) and water and some butties.

I wear walking shoes usually or golf shoes.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Take refreshments as it's bucks for food & drink, comfortable shoes, something to keep you dry, and keep your phone on silent. Pick either a hole to watch all groups or select one and follow.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's surprising just how many people are unaware of this. Why do people think that there are so many names around the bottom of the leaderboard, that we haven't heard of before?
Google Maurice Flitcroft ‘golfer’. He had several aliases

The father of the pro at our club played with him in an Open Qualifying at Pleasington I thin. The R and A were so embarrassed they refunded his entry fee!

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Google Maurice Flitcroft ‘golfer’. He had several aliases

The father of the pro at our club played with him in an Open Qualifying at Pleasington I thin. The R and A were so embarrassed they refunded his entry fee!
It is interesting you say that... The other day I was looking up an actor on IMDB, because I recognised him in something I was watching, and it was bugging me as to what it was. This guy is in a film about Maurice Flitcroft, which is due to be released at some point in the future:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fantastic_Flitcrofts

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wear a loud golfing outfit, get tanked up and shout “in the hole” as they tee off on a par 5 and “mashed potato”
You forgot to tell him/her to take his big camera for backswing shots and to also ask the Pro's for selfies.;)
With the summer we are enjoying I would forget about the waterproofs.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Cash. Lots of it. The last time I was at The British Masters a couple of years ago, a pint of Guinness cost me over six quid.