Attack Angle

aaajjj7589

Visit site
Hi Playas,

Had a lesson the other day where we identified my Angle of Attack is too steep - it's about 8 degrees so I really need to work on a couple of drills to reign that in a bit. We worked on some other bits on the lesson but I like to work in between lessons on some stuff ahead of my next lesson so I can try and get a head start.

Any suggestions on some drills I can try?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
8* is quite a lot.
Mine is -4.
One tip I use is put a tee in the ground about 6” in front of your ball.
Same height as your ball tee.
Try a few practice swings with both tees in the ground and no ball and see if you can clip the first but not the second.
It’s a tough thing to change your AOA

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi Playas,

Had a lesson the other day where we identified my Angle of Attack is too steep - it's about 8 degrees so I really need to work on a couple of drills to reign that in a bit. We worked on some other bits on the lesson but I like to work in between lessons on some stuff ahead of my next lesson so I can try and get a head start.

Try and miss the headcovers

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi Playas,

Is that your angle of attack with driver or with irons?

AliMc

Visit site
Hi Playas,

Mine with a driver was 3.5, don't know if that's good or bad tbh !

aaajjj7589

Visit site
Is that your angle of attack with driver or with irons?
I only hit a few drivers at the lesson so we caught the data with the irons but I suspect the issue will be with both.

Like Bob suggested above we but some objects either side of the ball so if this drill works then I can try that with some equipment I have

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I only hit a few drivers at the lesson so we caught the data with the irons but I suspect the issue will be with both.

Like Bob suggested above we but some objects either side of the ball so if this drill works then I can try that with some equipment I have
Most people hit down on irons. So 8* is about right.
But driver is a different swing with ball on a tee.
So you need to find out what driver AOA is really before trying to change it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was more worried with the irons. I lose quite alot of apex really which probably loses me about 15 yards carry at least.
That’s a bit strange saying you lose apex.
I would have thought the opposite.
Hitting down on the ball creates backspin so you should in theory hit it quite high.
That would lose you some distance.

aaajjj7589

Visit site
I think I hit down on the ball too much and I duff the shots, that might be the issue. The pro said I definitely needed to try and shallow out the angle of attack.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Attack angle? I just swing a golf club...that said...as I am currently unable to get my new G425 4Hybrid more than ten foot up in the air and anything vaguely described as straight...maybe I too have the wrong attack angle...

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I think I hit down on the ball too much and I duff the shots, that might be the issue. The pro said I definitely needed to try and shallow out the angle of attack.

Duffing the shots has nothing to do with angle of attack, the chances are you are swaying.
Get someone to film you face on and see if your head is moving side to side during the swing

RichA

Visit site
Duffing the shots has nothing to do with angle of attack, the chances are you are swaying.
Get someone to film you face on and see if your head is moving side to side during the swing
I've recently improved my ball contact by increasing my sway, to make sure I transfer my weight better. Silly game.

Tinkerman

Visit site
What are your divots on the course like with irons? If deep then try taking the club back low and slow rather than picking it up too quickly. Should help to shallow it out.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You're probably getting steep in your transition and swinging out to in. A video would be helpful to see what the problem is.

Diamond

Visit site
Left foot in front of right helps my hip rotation and in turn stops me swaying, but I have a tendency to sway my hips.