Ask Barney Anything...

Visit site
Monty tells us that trying to 'find your game' immediately prior to going out for a round is a complete waste of time. He reckons we should just hit a couple of balls with a few clubs (or all of them) to warm up. Forget the idea of getting into the groove as you'll not find it if it isn't already there. Is he right?

I think prior to the round the key is warming up and finding a feel for the day , so think Monty is saying that trying to find perfection isn't a great idea. Loosening up on the full swing , strike some crisp short shots then roll a few putts of say 25 to 40 feet as likely that will be the average length of what we will face on the opening greens. Finish off with a few short putts for confidence then swagger to the tee like the great man !

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just a couple of questions, what is the general flight and in the unlikely event of a poor shot where would you tend to lose it ?
General flight i would say is pretty normal with a decent contact.
My normal miss is probably right but I'm equally capable of missing both ways! Usually a straigjt right push as opposed to a slice.

Visit site
How much of Tiger's success can be attributed to Steve Williams? And, in a similar vain, would Tiger have been equally successful had he had, for example, a Harry Diamond or a Helen Storey, on the bag?

I think with players the Caddie they choose will depend on a series of things in terms of compatibility . So for Tiger , Steve Williams ticked the box of almost Military like persona ( given his father's background ) strong attention to detail and experience of working with the very best on Tour. I think Tiger would of been successful with a different caddie or caddies , but in my opinion not as good. Each part of his golf game was analysed in depth so he knew what he was looking for in the right bagman to compliment his incredible skill set.

Visit site
I am right-handed and left eye dominant (like Tiger, although I didn't know that until now). How does this affect alignment on full shots, where you are further away from the ball than when putting/chipping? I find my shoulders are open to the target even though I feel I am square or even slightly closed. How can I ensure I am square at all the body checkpoints (feet, hips shoulders)?

A good starting point for squaring up is to firstly stand to attention without a club and of course straight away we will have the body aligned perfectly. Next stage is to keep that feel with a golf club by hitting a few shots with your feet together . As mentioned the addressing the ball coming in left hand first really makes us aware of bringing the right hand almost under when we place it on the club , so keeping the shoulders square.

Visit site
Ben

Hogan was a firm advocate of the importance of the waggle...see his book Five Lessons - The Modern Fundamentals...
And his waggle wasn't a practice to hammer the tee into the ground :)
But does Hogan's advocacy still hold today?

I must admit being a Hogan fan I like players to have a waggle and like his concept of a waggle being like a miniature swing. However one of my favourite players Seve had no waggle at all , so when coaching I encourage players to explore the waggle and if you like a hoover instead then that's fine too.

Visit site
Another Q Barney:

On the backswing should we hold our hips square or let them turn in line with the shoulders?

The usual equation on the turning of shoulders and hips is around 90 degrees on the shoulders and 45 on the hips, so I like to see the hips turn naturally with the movement of the shoulders and and holding of hips will tend to throw out the correct sequencing.

Visit site
Barney...you've just been hired by Rory...what first?

First point is to remind him he is without doubt one of the most talented people ever to pick up a golf club! So it always looks his main issue is getting the club stuck behind him leading to that hooky one and in defending that a block creeps in too. Plenty of fade swings to soften transition, and then solidify those wedges and look at what Dustin has focused on rather than what Bryson has ! Finally allow him to be mercurial as to me he is a streak player and he's on or not which is fine much like Seve was. His Masters collapse in 2011 was well documented , but it seems to be forgotten he won the very next major the US Open by 8 shots.

Visit site
Dear Barney,
How can I make my scoring far more erratic so that my handicap goes up and I’ll have more chance of winning a club comp? Being consistently good is so boring. I’ve been playing the same way for 50 years and I am ready for a change.

Take a leaf out of Bryson's book and bulk up and hit the bejesus out of the ball and adopt his mantra of ' If I can see it I can hit it, if I can hit it I can hole it !' . One of two things will happen and you will dominate the comps, or lose your swing down that particular rabbit hole and said handicap will go up and voila winning becomes easier :)

Visit site
General flight i would say is pretty normal with a decent contact.
My normal miss is probably right but I'm equally capable of missing both ways! Usually a straigjt right push as opposed to a slice.

I think you may on occasion get the club a little flat on the back swing and either get stuck and leave the shot going out right , or try and save it with the hands leading to the one going left. I would suggest do some half swings at half speed keeping the width through the shot, and this will give you a good feel of the path of the club. Always useful to also make some swings starting from half way back ( club parallel to the feet line ) and swing from there as you will keep the club on plane.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Don’t know if this has been asked.
what’s your thoughts on Rory going to Mr Cowans stable. Not the best of starts putting one in the swimming pool.