Ask Barney Anything...

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You are really throwing yourself into this Barney fair play!

If you haven’t gotten sick of us yet...

When I’m pitching I have the landing spot clear in my mind as I take the shot. I’d say I’m decent from ~40 in. But when I’m on the tee if I think about a spot on the fairway (or the tree line in the distance that I’m aligned to) I steer it and all sorts can happen.

If indeed it is better to not think about the target when driving, then apart from my tea, what should I be thinking about? And if it is the target - how to I stop my subconscious from steering?

Thanks chap really enjoying this thread there are some gems in here ??

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
The problem with the swing is that the skull is too heavy for the body so that at some point in the swing the club starts to move in front of the centre of gravity.
This leads to club face closure.
So how do you either adjust the centre of gravity or lighten the skull?

Visit site
Hi Barney, do you do free lessons? :LOL:

Sadly due to my lifestyle of the rich and famous ( although curiously I am neither :) ) I do have to make a modest charge , however on this forum very happy if you would like to post your swing giving me a few ideas as to regular ball flights etc and I will give you a considered opinion.

Visit site
Don’t know if this has been asked.
what’s your thoughts on Rory going to Mr Cowans stable. Not the best of starts putting one in the swimming pool.

I think there are a few factors here, with the main one that whatever advice the unsung Michael Bannon is giving Rory , sadly it is not quite clicking at the moment and he needs a fresh voice. Clearly it must of been a wrench for Rory , and know that Michael is a dear friend and a brilliant coach. I remember the great Curtis Strange said when he left his coach of many years, to go to David Leadbetter that he needed to hear the same advice in a different way. Peter Cowan is at the top of the coaching profession and knows Rory well, so I think they will be a good fit and it won't need much to turn Rory round. I know we all hope that's by Masters week !

Visit site

When I’m pitching I have the landing spot clear in my mind as I take the shot. I’d say I’m decent from ~40 in. But when I’m on the tee if I think about a spot on the fairway (or the tree line in the distance that I’m aligned to) I steer it and all sorts can happen.

If indeed it is better to not think about the target when driving, then apart from my tea, what should I be thinking about? And if it is the target - how to I stop my subconscious from steering?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi Chris
For me the quickest way is to sharpen up your short game. Start by working on your putting , especially the holing out skills so setting up 4 tees around the hole with an uphill , a downhill, a right to left and a left to right putt and get to the point you can hole say 10 out of 12 and you are just 2 shy of Tour standard ! Move onto chipping and pitching and book a lesson with your local Professional to ensure your technique is on point .

So thats why my Dad had a short game lesson when he was planning a swing lesson with you and not because his swing was beyond help as I told him ;)

Visit site

Hi, yes swinging with freedom off the tee is a key skill to master and the dreaded steer does make us tentative and alter the clubface through impact. I like the idea of clear visualisation with the shot ending up in pole position our mind's eye, but I do appreciate when faced with a tight tree lined fairway the brain can go into ' lets get it up there somewhere' mode and generally it doesn't end well :(. So a concept I use is to set a tour stick around 5 yards ahead of the ball on the range and focus the player on hitting the shot straight over the stick or even trying to knock it out of the ground ! This starts to change the thought to a positive release of the club and not a steering one . In fact one of the pros I coach likes to put the other Tour stick on the ground on a straight line to the standing one and swing in his mind's eye along that . So using the tried and tested method of picking a spot in front of the ball on the course , then focusing of hitting over that with the freedom you will achieve the freedom you had in the drill. The other strategy I would encourage whilst you are building your confidence , is if you are feeling that tightening feeling on the tee, then go down a club maybe even two until you have something in your hands you can hit positively and as you put the ball in play more often the need to steer disappears.

Visit site
The problem with the swing is that the skull is too heavy for the body so that at some point in the swing the club starts to move in front of the centre of gravity.
This leads to club face closure.
So how do you either adjust the centre of gravity or lighten the skull?

I read somewhere more thought equals a heavier head , so by having a mental spring clean lightening the skull is possible. To achieve this I eliminate any political media, stick to sport and as I follow Watford FC, my expectations are low so am stress free there, although appreciate if you follow Spurs /Arsenal that is not possible .....

Visit site
Half way huts? Yay or nay?

I must admit I do like a half way Hut and depending on the time of day a sausage sandwich , or a piece of homemade carrot cake. If they are used sensibly then it doesn't slow up play , and gives the player a little boost of energy for the back nine.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi, yes swinging with freedom off the tee is a key skill to master and the dreaded steer does make us tentative and alter the clubface through impact. I like the idea of clear visualisation with the shot ending up in pole position our mind's eye, but I do appreciate when faced with a tight tree lined fairway the brain can go into ' lets get it up there somewhere' mode and generally it doesn't end well :(. So a concept I use is to set a tour stick around 5 yards ahead of the ball on the range and focus the player on hitting the shot straight over the stick or even trying to knock it out of the ground ! This starts to change the thought to a positive release of the club and not a steering one . In fact one of the pros I coach likes to put the other Tour stick on the ground on a straight line to the standing one and swing in his mind's eye along that . So using the tried and tested method of picking a spot in front of the ball on the course , then focusing of hitting over that with the freedom you will achieve the freedom you had in the drill. The other strategy I would encourage whilst you are building your confidence , is if you are feeling that tightening feeling on the tee, then go down a club maybe even two until you have something in your hands you can hit positively and as you put the ball in play more often the need to steer disappears.

Brilliant - another something new and positive to work on, this is great! Best advice I’ve had in a while, but then I tend not to ask. It’s not that I don’t trust the judgement of my fellow forummers, it’s just that I don’t trust the judgement of my fellow forummers.

Thanks Barney, and GM, talk about a cool feature ??

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If you went to a forum meet, would you be an old fart or a whippersnapper.

joking aside, what 1 thing technology wise brought golf onto Another level. ?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Hi Barney, what is/are the most common causes of inconsistency in swing and ball strike. Drives me to tears some days!

Many thanks
I'll be paying close attention to Barney's response to this one as it could help me with my objectives set out in post #73. Thanks for the advice so far Barney. Can't wait to get out there and gee-it-some-larrup.

Visit site
Barney...Custom Fitting......worth it or a myth based on someone who is in the 10-15 handicap range?

I think for all players it is worth looking into fitting. In my experience acquiring the right lie angle is an overlooked fundamental , as the amount of players I meet that could simply benefit from that alone is surprisingly high. Certainly with the woods finding a suitable shaft to match your swing speed is a key component to improved scatter patterns. I think the problem is the cost of new equipment can put players off from going along to a fitting. I must admit the premier companies like Ping , Callaway and Titleist do a grand job on their fitting days and there are some terrific club fitters around to help us with our game . The only disappointment is the lack of budget options with customisation available, although I have seen the Ben Ross range and they have some good equipment pitched at what I thought was a good price to fill that hole in the market. So in summary if there is a charge for the fitting it is worth it, as you will leave with some first class information courtesy of the amazing kit we now possess.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sadly due to my lifestyle of the rich and famous ( although curiously I am neither :) ) I do have to make a modest charge , however on this forum very happy if you would like to post your swing giving me a few ideas as to regular ball flights etc and I will give you a considered opinion.

Thanks Barney, I only have a swing video from a couple of years ago when it first started, problem is still here though, fighting a snap hook with my driver, fairways and hybrids, irons not so much.
My usual shot shape is a fade so I'm guessing my out to in swing path coupled with a hugely closed face is the problem, just can't seem to solve it.
This shot started middle and hooked a bit to the left.