Ask a stupid question....

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Ok here goes, I have two 56 vokey wedges, one older, one as new sm6. My new one is starting to get marked up with practising a fair bit recently and I'm none to happy but expect nothing less, so had this thought today, practise with the old one and save the new one for playing....good idea or bad ??

This is purely for chipping not for 70/80/90 yard shots where spin will be an issue.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes this makes sense do they have the same shaft.
Really dosnt make a lot of difference on 30/40 yds.

When I buy new irons I always order a spare 7 iron in the same spec and use this for most of my practice.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I suppose the only issue would be the amount of spin the old wedges create versus the newer ones.
If you're pitching onto a green, the older wedges will probably run out more.
If you get used to that feel and result it could affect your on course pitching...
Other than that it's a sound idea

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Can see the merits although the spin/run out may differ between new and old. If you are happy to gauge it on the course with the new version then crack on. Anything that gets the short game sharp has to be beneficial

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The experts would say that spin is only really an issue on fuller shots though chips do create spin but not to the extent full shots do.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I suppose the only issue would be the amount of spin the old wedges create versus the newer ones.
If you're pitching onto a green, the older wedges will probably run out more.
If you get used to that feel and result it could affect your on course pitching...
Other than that it's a sound idea

No this is for purely chipping, pitching I believe is from further away and is more of a spin issue.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i have recently replaced my 3 orka wedges like for like, i use the old set for any practise session where i expect to hit a decent volume of balls and "save" the newer ones for when im playing

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I find distance control around our chipping/pitching green much easier with my 56, believe me I've had 4 wedges 8 and 9 and my 56 has came out best pretty much most of the time.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is something I have done for years. Possibly because of the difference in spin levels it is best to concentrate on where the ball lands rather than where it finishes.