Ashton-in-Makerfield any1 played??

hamshanker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Im looking for some first hand reviews for Ashton in Makerfield GC...

Trying to get our societies capt day sorted early and even though i dont live to far from here ive never played it so any help would be appreciated

cheers

Ista

Hacker
Visit site
Whilst I haven't played there it's a well established course & I haven't heard any negative reviews. I think some of the holes were changed a couple of years ago due to a major water pipeline project having to go through part of the course. The hole visible from the M6 looks like one of these however I may be completely wrong. The gallery pics on the club website look good.

http://www.ashton-in-makerfieldgolfclub.co.uk/gallery_-_course

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's a very well run members owned club. Nice parkland course and a good test. Few of the tee boxes have been rebuilt... Defo worth a go...

hamshanker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yeah those are the holes and the course does look nice on their web site so before i drag 16 lads there so just wanting some views to see if its as good as it looks before i get lynched by the society clan ;)

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've played it, but it was a few years ago.. It's a lovely tight course with some challenging tee shots. The 2 new holes were just bedding in when I played, and they stood out a little bit as they were quite open without too much danger off the tee. I did have an issue with the 18th though as I thought it was a bit of a nothing hole which needed a 6 iron to the turn, then a flick with a wedge onto the green - But, I believe this was a temp measure whilst work was going on elsewhere.. All in all, a very good little course with a friendly membership..

However.... Be aware that they do not allow vans on the car park, so anyone in a van will have to park around the back..:thup:

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
hi hamshanker,im a member at ROYAL ASHTON and it is playing well,the original layout is now back in play with the two extra holes being left to mature ,but they will be used in rotation when some alterations to the course start next year,new paths and tee boxs have been done this last year as well as new signs,this gives the feel of a better class of club.the greens are superb and the pro shop is second to none in the area,the club house is warm and inviting to visitors with a good selection of food and drinks,as bluewolf stated no vans or commercial vehicles are allowed on the main car park but the over flow carpark is adjacent so no problems parking,have a word with GARY the club sec he will sort you a good deal and you will have a great days golf.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
hi hamshanker,im a member at ROYAL ASHTON and it is playing well,the original layout is now back in play with the two extra holes being left to mature ,but they will be used in rotation when some alterations to the course start next year,new paths and tee boxs have been done this last year as well as new signs,this gives the feel of a better class of club.the greens are superb and the pro shop is second to none in the area,the club house is warm and inviting to visitors with a good selection of food and drinks,as bluewolf stated no vans or commercial vehicles are allowed on the main car park but the over flow carpark is adjacent so no problems parking,have a word with GARY the club sec he will sort you a good deal and you will have a great days golf.
Welcome back 6inch.. Not seen you for a while..

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
hi mate,had a few set backs with my health been on a few times but should be fighting fit for the new season if the new bits work,will try and get into one of the forum games all being well.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
hi mate,had a few set backs with my health been on a few times but should be fighting fit for the new season if the new bits work,will try and get into one of the forum games all being well.

Good man. Great to hear that the health is improving. Looking forward to seeing you at one of the NW forum meets..:thup:

D

Deleted member 1740

Seriously no vans allowed on the main carpark??

Even if I paid £1000+ subs as a member I couldn't park my van in a space?

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seriously no vans allowed on the main carpark??

Even if I paid £1000+ subs as a member I couldn't park my van in a space?
we have two car parks,the main one as you drive into the course and just to the right is the overflow carpark,the overflow one is were all commercial type vehicles should park this leaves the main car park for cars only,i and the members see nothing wrong with this arrangement,and no one is forcing you to join are they.

hamshanker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all replies does help when you can get first hand views of a course and from what im hearing sounds like a very nice course cant believe ive never played it..

6inchcup good to hear your fighting fit again maybe a trial run of your course sometime could sway it :p

Appreciate all replies cheers

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all replies does help when you can get first hand views of a course and from what im hearing sounds like a very nice course cant believe ive never played it..

6inchcup good to hear your fighting fit again maybe a trial run of your course sometime could sway it :p

Appreciate all replies cheers
no problem i was trying to get ROYAL ASHTON on the rota on the nw forum tour but no one fancied it,pm me your details and i will arrange for a 4 ball when the weather improves.

hamshanker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
no problem i was trying to get ROYAL ASHTON on the rota on the nw forum tour but no one fancied it,pm me your details and i will arrange for a 4 ball when the weather improves.

Yeah ok ill be up for that mate when the weather improves i'll send pm later when im home.

cheers Gaz

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Local rule:- If you put a srixon into the t'main car park, it is classed as out of bounds. If you put a Prov-1 there, you get a mulligan. :)
you are correct BUT only if it has got the club crest on the ball and was purchased from the pro-shop when you picked up the velum score cards,we have to have some rules to keep any old riff raff from the course,my god you will say we have to have taxi drivers as members a well.