As advertised on TV

Alex

Visit site
We keep seeing the ads, do these clubs actually work.

Example: Slazenger K1 speed driver. Advertised by Tony Jacklin, if it is that good can we assume he uses it himself?

What about the North Western Golf Plus 10 driver?

The "Perfect Club" Another one, early version of a rescue wood, supposed to be the bees knees.

We never see these in the pages of golf magazines, are never advertised or reviewed in the magazines either. Anyone know if they are any good?

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
I bought a plus 10 last year and straight out of the box i had an almighty slice that i could not get rid of no matter what i tried.I started a thread on here recently to see what others thought and nobody rated it.However i finally worked out that the shaft was too flexible and after changing to a grafalloy blue stiff shaft(on a different club) my drive has become one of my most reliable shots. As for most stuff on the golf channel, i think they get such a large quantity of a product at a good price , then just embark on a sell sell sell for 6 months until ebay is flooded by people trying to unload "unwanted gifts" at half the price . Just remember there is not a club out there that will give you a good shot from a bad swing!

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
In my opinion stay well away from any of the clubs mentioned above- they are cheap, gimmicky pieces of kit designed to flog on TV- there are far better clubs you can buy for a similar price from companies such as Hippo, MD Golf and Benross. These companies make proper golf clubs that are designed with golfers in mind and will not rip you off.

RitchieL

Visit site
I completely agree with Andycap. With these clubs, making a good shot from a bad swing only encourages the golfer to swing bad consistently.
I am still using the same Taylormade Tour Burner driver that I have had for about 15 years now and I can hit it better than any other driver I have tried.

Another point for discussion, Woods that are set up for a draw......does this mean that all you will slice all your other clubs or do you have to change your swing from club to club?

Shooter_McGavin

Assistant Pro
Visit site
These clubs don't produce good shots from bad swings. In fact they often do the opposite-they are so poorly designed that they offer no forgiveness so that no one could hit them consistently well. I am a two handicapper and my cousin had bought a similar club to the ones teetotal mentioned-when i tried it my driver was going 60yards further and a hell of a lot straighter!
Your Taylormade Burner has lasted so long because it is a good club that was well designed; the likes of the K1 are the complete opposite-no matter how good a deal they seem at the time they are a rip off. Like Paul09 says look into the likes of MD Golf that offer good quality products at a similar price.

JamieD3

Medal Winner
Visit site
Andycap, I think the problem you may have had with the shaft was down to its length. On the GC, they say it offers extra distance - I'm pretty sure this comes from having a longer shaft than usual. That's why you had absolutely no control.

I'd steer clear of the K1 personally

Lipout

Medal Winner
Visit site
The K1 speed! Never mind the club, what about that advert. 3 club golfers on the 10th tee at the Belfry and Sam saying "go on, rip it on the green, you can do it." Cringe city.

Alex

Visit site
Next time you see an advert for Slazenger Bald Eagle balls, (can't remember if it is Sam Torrence, or Tony Jacklin again); take a look at the driver he sets up with, Taylor Made, so much for the Slazenger then.

This forum has been good as I opened this subject after being nearly seduced myself about the spiel on the Slazenger K1 Speed. Glad I mentioned it now as you guys have made me wake up.

Alex

hyper75

Visit site
The only advice i can give is spend the money on a few lessons with a pga pro, i played golf for 20 years before i took a lesson and it was money well spent, if you not have the basics right ie grip, stance, alignment and posture no amount of money will help play better

B

birdieman

I love those ads, especially the 'perfect club' and 'the knife' best. The old duffer nailing the knife wood with sharkfins on out of the bunker for an eagle was priceless! Just imagine- You unleash a horrible, steep, across the line hack and hey presto, the knife technology will straightem your clubhead miraculously as it cuts through the fairway, rough or bunker and you'll be putting for eagle...NOT.
The perfect club will replace your 3 wood, 5 wood, 7 wood and all your irons, hey, you can even putt with it! It goes 80 yards or 240 yards just by whispering to it or something!

Avoid all that Golf channel crap. Torrance and Jacklin have gone way down in my estimations, especially Torrance, thought he was better than that...what people will do for money! The double kick K1 shaft-what is that?

B

birdieman

Golf channel - When it began in the UK they used to show highlights of mens majors from the 1990's, now all they show are ancient 1950's matches where all you ever see is crappy wristy putting in grainy black and white and just how average Nicklaus was as a player. As for Big Break 28 where you get to hit it through a window - who cares!
The Golf Central Daily show is quite good though and sometimes the LPGA is just about watchable if it's a recent tournament.
I'm ashamed to admit I bought both the Momentus swing trainer and Inside Approach from them, both have since been sold on Ebay!

Alex

Visit site
What about the David Leadbetter swing trainer?

Strange looking gizmo with a club head part way up the shaft, looks like that mouse where they cloned an extra ear onto the body. Added to that there are some balls that slide on the shaft?

Browsing in JJB one day, and the guy in the Golf Dept said he was an R&A golf pro. Told me this gadget was a best seller, and he could not keep up with the demand. He said it was the best training aid going?

I assumed he wasn't much of a pro, and preferred sitting in a stuffy superstore than getting out there and meeting real people.

Has anyone actually bought this thing, and morever, did it work?

Alex