arthritis

andclr

Visit site
hi folks ....ive developed arthritis in my thumbs, so every time i hit a driver or long iron it bends my thumbs back due to weak grip....have tried taping my thumbs with electrical tape to stop them bending back ..but doesnt work ..does anybody know if there s such a thing as thumb protectors or something i can wear either over or under a glove

thanks andy

Captain_Black.

Visit site
One trick you can try is while your sitting watching telly or having a coffee, try squeezing & realising a soft rubber ball or a tennis ball.
It's surprising how just doing this for 10 - 20 mins per day will build up grip strength.

andclr

Visit site
hey captain .....its fine indoors ....its a nightmare outside ....and i worked outside for 30 yrs ......its unbelievable ..never excperienced like it

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bump.

I think I have it in my ring finger. The middle joint swelled so that it was difficult to remove wedding ring. Then it spread to middle finger and then forefinger. Then it went away for about 6 months. But its back. But only in the ring finger, at the moment. And it's painful. Makes golfing quite tough. Has anyone got a magic solution? Don't want to take pills. Any magic rubs out there?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bump.

I think I have it in my ring finger. The middle joint swelled so that it was difficult to remove wedding ring. Then it spread to middle finger and then forefinger. Then it went away for about 6 months. But its back. But only in the ring finger, at the moment. And it's painful. Makes golfing quite tough. Has anyone got a magic solution? Don't want to take pills. Any magic rubs out there?
Not a doc but my thoughts
If you wear a ring when playing, particularly practicing, you could be cutting off the blood flow to the end of the finger. Blood flow is important to elp with any inflammation.
I stopped wearing my wedding ring when playing or practicing.

If you do not want to take pills use either ibuprofen gel or voltarol (do not mix the 2, voltarol is diclofenac based which is a stronger anti inflammatory than ibuprofen but the tablet version has higher heart affect risk then Ibuprofen).

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Have a chat to a pro. One of the grip manufacturers produces, or used to produce, a grip for arthritis sufferers. If it’s not available anymore, try getting the grips changed and have several wraps of tape. Additionally, painkillers and hand warmers for when the weather is cool.

Robin Hood

Visit site
Check out Flexiseq gel
Available in all pharmacies. It can be used alongside most medications and it works.
Osteopaths would recommend stretching exercises too.