'Arry. Guilty or not guilty.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Slightly off track, but my sister used to work for the Revenue on the special investigations dept. She was investigating a very well known sportsman, who wasn't keen on paying his taxes. They were struggling to build a case against him, as he received a lot of untraceable cash payments, and supposedly only had one UK bank account which was above board. They agreed a figure he owed in tax against his cash payments, and when he came to pay his bill, he sent them a cheque drawn on an undeclared offshore bank account.:whistle:

My Old Man - ex Tax Inspector - knew the Guy heading up that dept.

They all had a good old laugh when that cheque arrived......

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
very very guilty, he has tried everything from its a bonus to i didnt know anything about it

ha ha he is going to jail, wonder if he will still become england manager after doing time

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I wouldnt want to be his dog! I can see a hefty fine, like two tins of pedigree chum and a packet of doggy biscuits! Fancy falling for your masters 'dont worry mate - they will never know' trick! Walkies to the dog house mes thinks......

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
So let me get this straight ..... he stashed amost £300k in a bank account in Monacco in .. eh .. erm ... in his dogs name ...... Oh, and his accountant knew hee haw about it .... and he has pleaded NOT GUILTY ?

The intergrity certainly has gone out of football.

3 years at her majesty's pleasure yer honour.

Pongo

Medal Winner
Visit site
Guilty all day long. If you open a bank account in your pet's name and put masssive amounts of dosh in it whilst absent mindedly forgetting to tell the accountant, you clearly know what you are doing. I hope he gets life. Mind you I've hated the twitching sack-face double-crossing low-life for years so it's possible there is a touch of bias in my opinion.

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It will certainly be interesting to hear the defences argument. The opening few days seem to suggest he's got a case to answer.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the problem lies at times with the intellectual level of a lot of footballers at the top level. After all they spent all their time as a kid training to become what they are, so never really had time for school. People here about putting money into offshore accounts and getting around the inland revenue. Thing is if your gonna do it get a bloody good accountant who knows how to work it so you do not pay tax but have no come back on it.

Read something a couple of years back about this in a magazine. Very interesting how these people are taking the taxman to the cleaners but can't be touched. It can be done but it does take some very creative accounting by an accountant not yourself. Guilty....I would say no.Guilty of being naive....I would say yes. Like has already been said how much is this costing to get £300,000K back?

Last edited:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I dont care if he did it or not

I expect the costs of bringing the case outweigh the amount he is accused of not paying
therefore whats the point

We may as well not prosecute anyone for any crime then, because surely all murder prosecutions cost more money than they bring in? You have laws and a legal system for a reason, if someone breaks the law, then they should be prosecuted, end of. Why should any Tom, Dick or 'Arry get away without paying tax, I earn far less than them and pay a heap of my money in tax. I've had the tax man come after me for £100 or £200 underpaid on occasion (nothing dodgy, just tax return/ P11D calculations needing to be paid the next year), if they owe it, they should pay it.

As for my opinion on his guilt.........how long did Lester Piggot get?

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I would agree that many footballers are as thick as a whale sandwich but I don't think 'Arry is that daft. He may come across as your lovable cockney Del Boy type thicko but outside of football he and his wife own their own property development company. As seen with his transfer dealings he is a shrewd business man and in complete control of whether he dots the i's or crosses the t's or not.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
The man is in a bit of bother if you ask me. Even if he is found not guilty his reputation as a man is tarnished. Naughty boy keeping his pennies hidden away like that.

A1ex

Head Pro
Visit site
Tax avoidance and tax evasion are different things. Good accounts can legally get around paying an awful lot of tax, all above board.

However what Harry has done here looks pretty amateurish. His excuse seems to be if it he was guilty he'd have smuggled the money back into England, not transfered it to his UK bank account.

Triffic excuse. Not.

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
To the tune of 'only fools and horses':

No Income Tax, no VAT,
No Premier points at Man City,
In the dock, looking pale,
Harry Redknapp's going to jail........