Argggh....so close!

Molly

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Morning all...I've been perching fr a while and finally have something worthy a first post...my best score to date.

I played at Cobtree last night and shot 80. Get in.

I am chuffed to bits, though feel daft as I should have broken 80 for the first time - though I did not know my score until I was totting up over a pint. The card wrecker came on the par 5 third...cracking drive, followed by a shank whilst trying to lay up, then 2 duffs and a couple of putts...came off with 8 :eek:.

It feels all the more sweet as it was the first outing for my brand new driver - Taylor Made Burner. I bought it yesterday morning after some advice from the Tonbridge Direct Golf shop. First swing in anger went dead straight and left me 3/4 wedge to the green...(oh, I shanked the next, but scrambled to a 5...goes to show eh? ;)). It's a great club and really adds distance and seems very forgiving to. Did not hit a bad one all evening. Worth every penny!

Quick note about Cobtree too. Standing on a few of the tee boxes, it felt a bit like the USPGA! Some of the fairways were less than 20 yards wide and thick rough within a metre. A short course that is well presented - greens were spot on - and that makes the most of what it has. 've played there plenty of times, but it seems to get better and better. Really enjoyed it...though maybe rose-tinted given my score ;)

Cheers

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
A few of us from here are playing Cobtree on the 30th. Pleased to hear it is in good condition. Not so pleased to here it is tight, (or short - I now know why MWJ chose it, he can drive every green).

80 is a good score round any track. Nice shooting.

You need to get rid of that shank though. That sounds nasty and is a card wrecker.

Molly

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks Murph

MWJ is a smart man...if he hits it a mile, he'll only need a wedge and a putter to go with the big stick. There are a couple of long holes, but the narrow fairways make you think a bit. Not like a cray valley where you can just open the shoulders and get away with an offline drive cos it's so open.

Where do you normally play? Next time you get out this way, you might get MWJ to take you to The Ridge (http://www.theridgegolfclub.co.uk/) in Maidstone - in great nick just now.

As for the shank...had 4 last night...as many as I have had in a while. Not worried as it means my swing is almost perfect, right? Maybe...

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I play in Watford, and am making a big (ish) excursion to Kent for the 30th, so nice to know it is worth the trip.

I know a shank is soo close to being a good shot, but, they only say that to reduce the pain. It is a bona fide card wrecker.

BunkerMentality123

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nice one Molly, I too am playing at Cobtree on the 30th. I am at West Malling which isn't far. Used to bash it round Cray Valley in the past, and have a slight soft spot as carded a 75 round there, which tells its own story.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Quick note about Cobtree too. Standing on a few of the tee boxes, it felt a bit like the USPGA! Some of the fairways were less than 20 yards wide and thick rough within a metre.

Welcome to the forum and well done on shooting that score.

As for Cobtree, think I better invest in some lake balls and leave the driver at home, my usual fade is turning into a slice more and more each day. AAARRRGGGHHH!!!