are you losing more golf balls post-lockdown?

are you losing more golf balls post-lockdown?

• Total voters

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
morning all
interested to hear from forumers on whether or not you've been losing more golf balls than usual in your post-lockdown golf
could be that

you're a bit wayward having not played for a couple of months
the rough is long as its growing season and the smaller that usual greenkeeping teams are focusing their time on the cut and prepared surfaces
balls bouncing on firm ground through the fairway and into 1st or second cuts or through the green
that its mainly casual golf so you dont hunt as hard for stray shots as you would with a card in hand

or is it just me!

Dannyc

Visit site
It’s not u mate
Greenkeepers at our place have not cut the rough down and like u say hard fairways
We can understand that but the greens are poor aswell so for me no excuse
I’ve bought some lake balls but they still ain’t been delivered after nearly 3 weeks ??

Last edited by a moderator:

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve played 6 rounds in the last 3 weeks, I’ve lost around a dozen I’d say, for all the reasons stated above but mainly my own rustiness, and also playing courses I’ve never played before. I also had 2 where I hit perfectly good shots but the hard bounce/run resulted in them disappearing into bushes at the back of greens.

Yesterday was the first round with the same ball so hopefully I’m now back on track!

What I would say is that it’s compounded by not being able to pick up other players lost balls, I normally come out with as many pick ups as I’ve lost myself! ?

D

Deleted member 16999

No from me, rough was slightly longer a week or 2 back, but course still in great condition.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I'd say really no more than normal. I've (touch wood) stayed relatively straight with my shots although with a tendency to pull them at the moment. Semi-rough is still OK but the "big rough" is definitely longer (understandably due to priorities). I've tended to use older and cheaper balls just in case.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I did for the first 4-5 games as I was very rusty and the course had firmed up and the rough was definitely up. Starting to play a little better and so perhaps a ball every other round although didn't lose any at the weekend

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've gone with yes, but it's not that I've been playing worse, I've actually played well so far. I think it's down to a few factors, such as the course being bone dry all of a sudden so the balls runs further (i.e. into that hedge or ditch you thought you wouldn't reach), plus the fact it's all non-comp stuff at my place so I never look as hard for potentially lost balls, just drop another one out. And yes I also think the rough has been allowed to get a bit longer in places.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Rough is massive and being 10 yards offline and it'll go west! Brought a load of cheap srixon distances as it's proper costing me!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes from me. The rough is higher and thicker than normal. Areas between trees that they try to keep reasonable are also more wild. Where you would normally look for your ball because you would expect to find it we are currently not even bothering.

No criticism of the green staff over this, the rest of the course is bang on. It is just a matter of playing catch up.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
First round back wasnt pretty, lost 3 balls - my driving was terrible. Second full 18 I played all 18 with the same ball which is a rarity for me as I usually lose 1 or 2.

First round at my new club last Friday I lost 2. Could probably have found the second but the group in front was 4 past captains who'd just waved me thorough so i just legged it past them.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In places the rough is now so long I could lose myself in it let alone a golf ball.

Couple that with fairways that are like concrete and the ball travelling well beyond the normal spot on dog legs.

At least we are back to a full complement of green staff who do not need to be mowing fairways at the moment so hopefully some of it get sorted soon.

D

Deleted member 3432

In places the rough is now so long I could lose myself in it let alone a golf ball.

Couple that with fairways that are like concrete and the ball travelling well beyond the normal spot on dog legs.

At least we are back to a full complement of green staff who do not need to be mowing fairways at the moment so hopefully some of it get sorted soon.

Perhaps its worth taking a club that won't run through the dog legs?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Perhaps its worth taking a club that won't run through the dog legs?

The problem is there is no guarantee of getting past the trees on the angle of the doglegs with a shorter club. On a couple of them it is uphill to the mid point and down hill after the mid point.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Don't think I've lost a ball in six rounds since the restart despite drives going up to 80 yards further than normal at times, When I've had a ball go off line it's usually been so bad that it's ended up on another fairway - mind you the amount that the rough has sprung up in last five days it's a bit of a miracle that I haven't lost any - had three or four shots last night from places where a ball could easily have been lost.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Bearing in mind some of the adventurous routes I have taken on the course I'm surprised I've barely lost any.
Wel, into double figures of rounds played and k can think of only 2 balls handed back to the Golfing Gods...

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Lost a couple since returning, putting on a stone or two hasnt helped feeling completely alien at address though neither. Cant weight (geddit?) for the gyms to reopen as I have motivation there and not road running etc.