are you golf superstitious?

Fabia999

Visit site
I'm not a superstitious person but when it comes to golf I have certain things that I call a routine but is possibly superstition, like:

having to touch the grass because I tee off in a certain way.
carrying a 1 pink tee, 1 green tee. 1 spare ball
I don't like teeing off last, luckily my pp knows this so lets me go first in casual rounds.

I found a TP5 Pix a few weeks ago and although I'm a 19 handicap I parred 5 of the first 6 holes trying not to fall into the superstition trap with this ball.

anyone got any golf superstitions or a strange routine that helps them?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
None for me. I have routines I go through, but nothing in terms of suspicion. I appreciate it works for some people, and I have seen some famous sports persons with very strict routines (Valentino Rossi in Moto GP for example, always squatted before the bike before getting on it. Always got on the left and off on the right, etc.)

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not so much a superstition but I do like to have the same things in my pocket each round.
Right front - White castle tee, red castle tee, broken tee, pichtch mark repairer and ball marker
Left front - spare ball
Right back - scorecard
left back - glove

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I have a ‘great’ round I will wear the same pair of boxers for the next.

Never had more than 2 rounds in the same pants tho
It's just as well, given that you've been playing every day...

I don't know what counts as superstition and what is just routine. I do put each item in the same pockets each time, but that's just routine and habit really. Tees & ball front right, pitch repairer/ball marker back right, back left is for glove when I take it off, front left for phone and scorecard. I also can't hit the ball without a practise swing first, or it feels very strange like it's going to go totally wrong. Probably closer to an OCD-type feeling than superstition!

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Last time this question came up I stated that I studiously avoid Eagles but then I had one a couple of weeks back . However I continue to completely avoid hole in ones.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Left shoe always goes on before right shoe, always.
Always wear odd socks.
Always carry 3 pink castles, 1 orange castle and three white wooden tee pegs.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have a pre-shot process for every shot and a few specific etiquette asks of others e.g. if they are in close vicinity to me as in on the tee, where they stand when I am about to hit the ball; and having balls marked on the green - but no superstitions whatsoever.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I did have a polo shirt that I wore for two years of mixed pairs knockouts (I did wash it) as we kept winning, and made four and won three finals!
Lost in the first round third year, so no longer wear it for knockouts! ?
Only other thing I would say is superstition is I always use the same ball marker, a 3 pesos Cuban coin with Che Guevara's head on it. Don't know what I'd do if I lost that!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I did have a polo shirt that I wore for two years of mixed pairs knockouts (I did wash it) as we kept winning, and made four and won three finals!
Lost in the first round third year, so no longer wear it for knockouts! ?
Only other thing I would say is superstition is I always use the same ball marker, a 3 pesos Cuban coin with Che Guevara's head on it. Don't know what I'd do if I lost that!
You shouldn't have said, I foresee a pickpocketing on the next meet..