Are you gear proud?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You will have to let me know how you have managed to avoid this, all my shafts have bag rubs on them now. I think it must be the way the new bags are.
Honestly I've no idea..
I've seen some horrendous examples down the years but I buy normal bags - currently got a Ping DLX - and never had a mark on a shaft....
Beats me....

D

Deleted member 23344

Yes 100% club proud. Clean my clubs after rounds, towel washed and laundered. Headcovers must be in good nick and match (Unless it's a custom one!)

Thats me too! I may be a crap golfer, but my clubs are always in great nick … no skymarks and only the usual marks from normal play.

C7usk

Visit site
Wow, am seriously impressed that the vast majority seem to wipe their clubs after after every shot.. Am obviously not doing it right.... I hardly ever wipe them unless there's a healthy bit of dirt on the face and I reckon I only clean them around 4 or 5 times a year and I play all year round... I think they could sue me for neglect. ?... I shall need to up my game.. Maybe it'll help... Lol.

oleinone

Visit site
Clean clubs with damp towel after every shot. Ditto ball on fairway with lift and place. Not so much pride as wanting to avoid crushing grit and earth into both the clubface and the ball.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
No, my clubs are a right state and I'm not the least bit bothered by it. The most I do is give them a quick wipe after a shot if there is visible mud. If they're lucky, they might get an annual drenching in a bucket of soapy water. Probably the same day that I give the car its annual wash!

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Not really, my clubs and equipment tell a story - they're used, in all weather, and not necessarily to the best of their potential. I'll clean them, properly, occasionally. But the woods have scuff marks on the top. The cavities to the irons have (unless just properly cleaned) have ground in dirt, there's a chip/dent here and there. My best looked after clubs are my wedges.

I'm 'proud' of new equipment for a while, then not really, and I won't be shamed for it. It's a part time, I'm busy and I'm okay with it. I've only ever had one person seriously go on about it, at an interclub match - I wasn't embarrassed (I mean, I know they're not clean!) but it was so persistent it was starting to peeve me. "I don't know how you play with those", "Looks like you've never cleaned them", "You must be losing distance with those", "I clean mine every round...". My ball, my shoes and basically everything got a comment. Then he shanked one straight right, an absolute beauty, on our short par 4 14th and I just quickly said "That's the problem with shiny clubs, sometimes the ball just slides right of the face" - his partner started audibly laughing and he was fuming, never got his groove back and we wrapped the match up on the 16th green.

Ser Shankalot

Visit site
One vote for the fellow OCD crowd. During play I'm too impatient and only give a very cursory wipe-down with towel if clubs are caked in mud or dirt. But after every round I always wash and wipe the heads, shaft and grip. Air dry the gloves and scrub balls (used and found). Clean the gunk from under and wipe down the shoes. And trolley if used (normally carry). Unfortunately doesn't make me any better a player.
My other half laughs at me, saying I must be the only golfer who does this.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Woods, hybrid and putter have headcovers, irons don't.

Don't routinely clean after every shot or round, but every now and again get a bucket of soapy water out and clean them with a gentle scrubbing brush.

I was told that "soapy water" attacks the glue.

Brads

Visit site
My gear is immaculate. That goes for all my sports equipment and bikes.
My mountain bike looks like new even after a load of massive crashes at Innerleithen lol.
My old uncle had stopped golfing and gave me his clubs.
The putter looked like it has been used as a masonry hammer ?

D

Deleted member 31582

I’m quite proud, not just in keeping my clubs constantly clean, but my shoes will be cleaned and even protected before I get on the course, I even keep my waterproof trousers clean, I see some people put on their waterproofs and I can’t believe how muddy they are from a previous round god knows when!

Maybe I’m a bit OCD, as I keep my towel clean also, swapping it over regularly.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong in being proud of your own appearance and that of your clubs.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm a bit OCD of keeping everything tidy and as clean as possible. Trolley gets cleaned with the air blaster at the end of the round as do the shoes. The shoes get TLC when I home with a wipe down with baby wipes, some of those sillicon gel packs you get in parcels and shoe horns. Once dry they get a proper clean and a if they are old a touch of dubbin every so often. The clubs are wiped after every shot, and the heads cleaned thoroughly after the round. Grips are done every 2-3 weeks

Kit is expensive and so I try my best to keep it as fit for purpose as I can. If a club gets a ding (stone out of a bunker) I'll use some extremely fine sand paper to just take the worse of the sharp edge off