Are you gear proud?

D

Deleted member 21258

Not really, do wipe the dirt off the clubs after hitting so have a clean clubface for next strike, but that is about it.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I certainly am. Refuse to use iron covers as I don't care about a little chatter.

But my clubs are cleaned regularly, I replace grips probably more often than needed.

Sad but I've actually polished my Driver ready for putting up for sale to get light scratches out of the clearcoat.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I did see the story about Rai still using iron covers as a pro - basically the clubs were a significant cost to parents so important to look after them as best he could including iron covers. Now he probably gets them free, but keeps the covers out of a mark of respect/grounding to look after something valuable (and I expect habit is in there as well). Seemed a pretty good reason.

Look after my clubs with a clean, regrip etc but not out of the ordinary. I struggle to replace because I always feel they still do a job despite scuff marks so is it worth an upgrade - so perhaps gear proud in appreciating the cost and not wanting to discard for no reason.

Last edited:

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I’ve been looking around for a couple of clubs and the condition of some peoples clubs shocks me. Well looked after normally describes a club that looks like it’s been used to hit pebbles into the sea and a few chips refers to a typical white finished club with barely any paint finish left.

I’m by no means precious about my gear, but most of the stuff in finding is shocking.
There was a large piece of crap at the end of your clubs on Saturday though... just not going to say which end of the club! ???

phillarrow

Visit site
I'm at that 'in between' age where I am too old to carry my bag but too young to justify getting an electric trolley. The only downside of having to a push trolley is not having spare hands to clean the clubs between shots. This will be the thing that makes me buy an electric trolley before too long. Having said that, I'm not overly proud and most of my clubs do have some marks or dinks in them that I honestly don't care about - as someone else said, they are tools and I don't polish my hammer! (Fnaarr fnaarr!)
The only thing that matters to me is keeping the face as clean as possible so I give them a wash at home after every couple of rounds, more often in the winter.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yes 100% club proud. Clean my clubs after rounds, towel washed and laundered. Headcovers must be in good nick and match (Unless it's a custom one!)

RichA

Visit site
Shot glasses are run through the dishwasher after every round. Clubs, bag and shoes get a wipe with the towel every couple of months, whether they need it or not.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I go through phases, but if its been a really wet round I always bring all my clubs in, turn the temp right down on the 4 column radiator in the hallway (so its about 35 degrees to touch, not enough to melt any glue or epoxy) and wipe down and slot all my clubs in between the columns to dry them out thoroughly.

On the course its generally a spit shine job.

Need to get better at washing my towel though, thats currently a once a quarter job ?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Wipe the head over after most shots (after every shot with the woods) and like them to look clean.

Some of my sets have lived a very hard life but I enjoy putting a good round together with a set that most would consign to the tip.

i*windows

Visit site
I like to keep my clubs in good order, my father in law on the other hand doesn't give a monkeys. The woods are wrecked and the putter is a mess, there is no way I could ever let my clubs get in that state :)

gopher99

Visit site
One thing I don't get when I comes to the condition of some people's clubs is bag rub on the shafts...what the ......is that all about.?
I've been playing 30 years and never had any shafts with bag rub..
How does it happen?

You will have to let me know how you have managed to avoid this, all my shafts have bag rubs on them now. I think it must be the way the new bags are.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
At the end of the day they are tools designed to do a job...so you can expect to see some wear and tear on them....but like all tools that doesn't mean you shouldn't look after them. I clean them regularly...after each round if its been particularly muddy (because no wiping down with an already muddy towel will get clubs clean at the end of a round). but yeah...I get where the OP is coming from....some players pitch up with a set of clubs that look like they've just come from the local recycling centre...complete with the original owners mud still caked on them.

As for ebay....if it doesn't have a good quality clear picture showing all aspects of a club then I'm not taking any notice of anyone's description of very good condition....you see some shocking stuff listed as "great condition"...stuff that I would probably be deeming "end of life".

So I wouldn't say I'm gear "proud" but I do look after my clubs properly.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agree. If I'm selling a club, there might be fair wear and tear but there will not be a spec of dirt on it.
Any eBay item that has photos that include the seller's knackered sofa, dirty laundry or cracked and weed covered patio in the background don't get bids from me.

should mention of crack and weed get an infringement?

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Agree. If I'm selling a club, there might be fair wear and tear but there will not be a spec of dirt on it.
Any eBay item that has photos that include the seller's knackered sofa, dirty laundry or cracked and weed covered patio in the background don't get bids from me.

What about feet? Plenty on there with their disgusting toes in the frame! ??

Shot glasses are run through the dishwasher after every round. Clubs, bag and shoes get a wipe with the towel every couple of months, whether they need it or not.

Shot glasses?