Are we all in this together?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18588
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18588

In the same week that the Chancellor's Autumn Statement informed us that we must face up to six more years of austerity it is announced that all the party leaders have agreed that MP's should receive an 11% pay rise!

You really couldn't make it up could you?

Red, blue, yellow, it makes no difference they all end up with their hands in our pockets.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
In the same week that the Chancellor's Autumn Statement informed us that we must face up to six more years of austerity it is announced that all the party leaders have agreed that MP's should receive an 11% pay rise!

Red, blue, yellow, it makes no difference they all end up with their hands in our pockets.

Beat me to it. At the same time as they squeeze the public sector until the pips squeak, and make drastic cuts to the pension benefits of emergency service workers whilst forcing their contributions through the roof, they award themselves an increase 5 times the rate of inflation. All whilst claiming for anything they think that they can get away with and enjoying their subsidised canteens and various other benefits. They couldn't get their snouts any further into the trough if they tried. :angry:

"Call me Dave"? No, I'd really like to call you something else, but it wouldn't be a short suspension from here if I did.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Although they are not being allowed to claim as much in expenses as they have before.
It's more realistic to pay them a higher basic and have them fund everything they normally claim as expenses from it.
Having said that, seeing as how most of them just seem to be in it with a view to bettering their portfolio of Directorships and lining their own pockets, I think they should pay for the privilege....

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site

Not normally one to stick up for politicians, but just to be factually correct all 3 leaders DISAGREE with this proposal. It is an IPSA proposal and not from the 3 main parties.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Where was that announcement? Everything I've seen state things like 'unthinkable' or 'preposterous'!

Though it's an Independent Commission's recommendations and part of a package to avoid really preposterous stuff like Expense Fiddling - where the previous slack rules were to get around a headlining Pay increase!

My thoughts are that they should link the pay to some Civil Service/Judiciary position and 'forget' it, letting standard increases do the work. Donations to Charity are the way for those that consider themselves over-compensated imo.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think MP's are poorly paid for what they do.
I am certain that quite a few on here earn more than an MP's salary and do not do such an important job.

MP's pay is decided by an outside agency so that they cannot vote for a rise when they want one.
Trouble all stems back to Margaret Thatcher's time when, same as today, a rise in MP's salary would have gone down like a lead balloon.
She allowed them to make weight with expenses instead of a rise and messed up the system.

Situations like Gordon Brown and others who do not participate in Parliament should also be addressed. Taking the money without the responsibility. Attendance fees is probably a better idea for the Commons.
Mind you I know there are a few not so well off Lords [who receive attendance allowance] who clock in and then disappear for the day.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
All of the leaders so bar DC and a number of cabinet ministers have already personally pledged to refuse to accept the increase. Any politician who has been a in politics for more than 10 mins knows they can't possibly be seen to be supporting an 11% rise for themselves while the rest of the public sector is squeezed so hard.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Living Wage Foundation is an 'independent' body... Current 'suggestion' for those working/living in London is £8.80 an hour that's plenty enough any MP...

Last edited:

Gazp

Assistant Pro
Visit site
All of the leaders so bar DC and a number of cabinet ministers have already personally pledged to refuse to accept the increase. Any politician who has been a in politics for more than 10 mins knows they can't possibly be seen to be supporting an 11% rise for themselves while the rest of the public sector is squeezed so hard.

you must be joking, just seen Peter Bottomley a long standing MP saying they should get it or people such as doctors won,t take the drop in salary to become an MP. What a pathetic arguement, is he saying that MP's should be paid more than anyone otherwise nobody will want to be an MP. whenever this has happened before, most MP's say they don,t want it but they always vote for it & end up getting it.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
They are claiming it should be given because it is as a result of an independent review. Didn't stop them overruling other independent commissions recommendations for other occupations. Their hypocrisy is breathtaking.

D

Deleted member 18588

I am certain that quite a few on here earn more than an MP's salary and do not do such an important job.

MP's pay is decided by an outside agency so that they cannot vote for a rise when they want one.
Trouble all stems back to Margaret Thatcher's time when, same as today, a rise in MP's salary would have gone down like a lead balloon.
She allowed them to make weight with expenses instead of a rise and messed up the system.

Situations like Gordon Brown and others who do not participate in Parliament should also be addressed. Taking the money without the responsibility. Attendance fees is probably a better idea for the Commons.
Mind you I know there are a few not so well off Lords [who receive attendance allowance] who clock in and then disappear for the day.

You are joking aren't you?

Back-bench MP's are nothing more than lobby fodder and glorified local councillors. Have met a number in my time and not one struck me as someone who would be a success in any other career.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
MP's are not paid enough for what they do.

My kids primary school head gets £20k more for example

IMO they should get £120k a year

However, NO Expenses, NO travel subsidy, NO payment for accommodation

A flat-rate system would work fine.

2 of my friends are parliamentary candidates for 2015 here, both will not be taking 2nd home allowances etc if elected.

Im standing in the local elections myself, and Im not going to be taking any expenses if elected.

D

Deleted member 15344

They get a lot more than a great deal amount of people who do far more important jobs.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
You are joking aren't you?

Back-bench MP's are nothing more than lobby fodder and glorified local councillors. Have met a number in my time and not one struck me as someone who would be a success in any other career.

They get a lot more than a great deal amount of people who do far more important jobs.

Absolutely right.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
MP's are not paid enough for what they do.

My kids primary school head gets £20k more for example

IMO they should get £120k a year

However, NO Expenses, NO travel subsidy, NO payment for accommodation

A flat-rate system would work fine.

2 of my friends are parliamentary candidates for 2015 here, both will not be taking 2nd home allowances etc if elected.

Im standing in the local elections myself, and Im not going to be taking any expenses if elected.

Many would argue that a Head Teacher has a significantly more responsible job!

Can't agree re Expenses etc. MP for Carlisle should not 'suffer' compared for the MP for Westminster. Has to be 'fair and reasonable' though. Is your area twinned? Would you pay your own way if required to go there on official business? Several times?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
They should get the same pay rise as other public sector workers. Or maybe get the IPSA to look at the wages of the whole public sector.:angry: