Are some of us aiming incorrectly?

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Warning!! Nerdy, dull post alert!! :D :p

Club face square to target at address is seemingly ok to achieve as you line up the leading edge behind the ball. It may not be perfect, but swinging back to impact the leading edge should still be nearly square...except there's a tiny issue with this. You don't normally hit the ball the leading edge; the ball is hit with lower middle of the club face. Additionally by the time the ball has risen up the club face, the point that the ball leaves the face, the club face is pointing left, assuming that the player has put a decent rotation swing on. So, does this mean that the ball is initially going left??

Here's some evidence to back the above up. Take a 7i and put a lot of Blu-Tack on the face where the ball is struck. Get two pencils and line one up on the leading edge, so that it is square to target and in line with the leading edge. Then get the other pencil and stand it up in the Blu-Tack so that the pencil is showing the likely path of the ball...e.g. If you open the club face right up to be flat, the second pencil should be pointing straight up. Now take your normal stance, squaring the club face & first pencil. Hold the club steady and then lean forward carefully and note the direction of the second pencil....it's noticeably left. So, are you hitting left??

If you're still with me... :D

Swing experts will note that at impact, the hands are further forward, delofting the face. This has the effect of straightening the second pencil, but it is still pointing a bit left...?!! Referring back up to start, I mentioned about the small delay as the ball rides up and leaves the club face, adding a tiny more left of target. Thus, the ball is definitely going left?

I've heard the answer is to open the club face up a bit at address to compensate at impact.

If you're intrigued, try the Blu-Tack experiment. Or just go and do something more interesting instead. :D :D :p

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Firstly, when you address the ball the clubhead is sitting a little toe up. That's to allow for the shaft bend at impact.
i.e the shft bends downwards so a club that sits toe up at address will be flat at impact, straightening out the pencil.
Secondly, if you deloft the club by moving the hands forward that wont change the direction of the face.
It will if you deloft it by closing the face.
It is my understanding that a clubface direction is affected by the club face moving toe up/toe down but not by simply delofting it (right to left).
It's called the "face plane tilt"

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Secondly, if you deloft the club by moving the hands forward that wont change the direction of the face.
It will if you deloft it by closing the face.
It is my understanding that a clubface direction is affected by the club face moving toe up/toe down but not by simply delofting it (right to left).
It's called the "face plane tilt"

I agree with the toe up/down direction, but it also works in the loft/de loft direction because of toe up condition. Ive just tried it again (nerd! ;)) and it definitely does happen. The caveat is that the effect works best pushing the hands foward in a parallel line rather than in a rotation swing arc.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
if you move a clubhead forward while keeping its resting point in the same place it will deloft and not de-angle the direction- basic physics :rolleyes:

:cool:

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Alternatively, keep the club face square approaching and after impact and this issue just disappears (by not rptating your forearms on the backswing and back the other way appraoching)