Are Nicklaus courses the new MacDonalds?

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is anyone getting really fed up of seeing Jack Nicklaus' mug on TV flogging houses or reading about his dozens of courses which all seem to look and play the same - big shallow bunkers, wide fairways and not a lot else? Borrrringgg.. I think his courses are turning into the chain shops of the fairways. He should have just done a few select designs so people really appreciate them. I bet he does't even visit the sites.

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well said Teetotal!

Jack Nicklaus has sold out - shame on him. Polaris World looks like Butlins and his courses (the ones I've played and seen on TV) are total uninspiring. No more please Jack stick to playing exhibition matches and waving regally at crowds - leave the course designing to Norman, Faldo and Els.

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I say leave the course designing to real course designers like David McLay Kidd, Kyle Phillips and Pete Dye. Being a pro golfer doesn't necessarily mean you'll be a good course architect.

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree but Nicklaus is particularly poor, at least Greg Norman has the skill to use the natural canvas. Nicklaus just builds his identikit course on whatever plot of land he is given. No imagination

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Jack is building what are essentially holiday courses. The outfits he works for do not want hackers searching for their golf balls in long rough, or playing ten to get out of pot bunkers. All this sort of thing causes the 6 hour rounds that some of us have the mis-fortune of enduring in Spain and Portugal. There is always a 'tiger track' on jack's courses, with the placement of the tournament tees. The scratch players and professionals can be well challenged on some of his designs.

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
I agree Nicklaus seems to accept any piece of land offered to him-or at least his design company does.

My nomination for worst player turned course designer has to go to Seve! He really has accepted some of the worst land to build golf courses I’ve ever seen, and even when given decent locations still seems to make awful courses.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
There are many courses that I am familiar with in Spain, that have top golfers's names attached to them but are relatively un-playable, especially for the average club golfer. One in Costa del Sol is one where the average loss of balls is 6. Within 5 metres of the fairways the ground is designated as 'water hazard.' The terrain is so rough that you cannot retrieve your ball even when you can see it. When I played it about 10 years ago, they had a local rule that if you can see your ball within 5 metres of the faiway and it is not in a hazard, you are allowed a free drop back on the fairway. On top of this, it was a five mile drive up a rough track to get there, and you couldn't walk the course, they also insisted that you have a buggy. Some people reading this may know the course I mean. It is not the only one in the area which is built on land that should never have been used for a golf course. I agree with you Paul09, some of the top golfer put their names to courses on the worst possible land, and I suspect that they only go there for the opening ceremony, and to collect their fee.

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
With his clothing and wine Greg Norman definately has a business head and he can spot a decent plot of land. Monty and Faldo also seem a bit more choosy in picking their plots.

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
Think I know what your talking about Dave- a was there a couple of weeks ago and couldn't believe some of the pieces of land they have built courses on! Many really are unplayable. Money making at its worst!!!