Are members courses really in a strong position?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Playing a casual game over the weekend and I was talking to someone who had been heavily involved with a members only club. I know of the club and it’s pretty well established and I have to admit that despite being full with a long waiting list, the club was quite heavily into the red interms and not as healthy as you would expect of this club.

Despite the covid boom, long waiting list and generally improving numbers in our sport is this normal?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing a casual game over the weekend and I was talking to someone who had been heavily involved with a members only club. I know of the club and it’s pretty well established and I have to admit that despite being full with a long waiting list, the club was quite heavily into the red interms and not as healthy as you would expect of this club.

Despite the covid boom, long waiting list and generally improving numbers in our sport is this normal?
No it isn’t.
A serious audit may identify why with a full membership it can’t break even

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We're financially very sound...full membership, waiting list, busy club, bar and shop....
Just had a H4H-style Golf Day with 120 players + food and drink...
Plenty of evening events, dinners, wine tasting, shows....
I would expect similar member's clubs with a similar outlook to be financially secure

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

If the membership is full, and they're in the red year on year, then to state the obvious, they need to cut costs or raise more from membership (more members or higher fees).

Could it be that they are paying for something still? E.g. good cashflow each year but investing heavily in the course or paying off debt?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Would expect any with full membership and waiting lists to have healthy cash flows for sure, plenty will still be repairing their balance sheets post covid (and the years before in some cases) though

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If the membership is full, and they're in the red year on year, then to state the obvious, they need to cut costs or raise more from membership (more members or higher fees).

Could it be that they are paying for something still? E.g. good cashflow each year but investing heavily in the course or paying off debt?

I believe there has been an historic debtor balance and they are investing year on year. The area in which the club is located leaves it one of the best around, but I do believe they lack on functions

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where I play the club is in a very healthy financial position.

Full membership, reasonable number of fee paying visitors on our 9 hole course (judging by the start sheet) range rammed many a day and judging by the capital projects that have been going on. (manager rumoured to have had a 5 digit pay increase as well).

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Without seeing the balance sheet, its hard to say. Members should have access to this...

I’m not a member, it was a general conversation with someone who had been previously on their committee.

I just found it strange that a club with a strong reputation and membership was in this position, especially given that they are not the cheapest in their area at just shy of £2k.