Are Greens Faster?

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’d like to know when was the first ever stimp reading, and what was it set as for tournament standard.

I believe tournament standard is now 11, so why do some clubs think it’s ok to have as high as 13 for handicap golfers?
Is it fairly common down south for clubs to publish what their stimp readings are.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a stimp metre reading anywhere

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
We were officially 12 (and a hare more) for the Jamega Tour recently. I played the Grove when they said they were 12.4 and managed to putt off the green with my opening effort on the practice green

12 ? Is that what they said they were ? I find that a bit hard to believe in this country, as I don't think we either have the weather nor the type of grass.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
12 ? Is that what they said they were ? I find that a bit hard to believe in this country, as I don't think we either have the weather nor the type of grass.

I'm with you on this, I would be very surprised in the UK if they had 12. Last year at Birkdale I just read that they where between 10.5 - 11. Last time at St Andrews they where at 10. From what I know of UK green types getting them crazy fast would require basically taking them down to the dirt, so killing them off and I can't see any greenkeeper doing that.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Another question at a tangent

While I know its supposed to be a measure but is say a 9.5 always the same speed?
I’m thinking that there are other variables involved from grass type and grain etc even ball type (leaving out player perception) so just because it says 9.5 will that be the same from course to course?

i.e
50pmh on a motorway is slow but the same speed on a street in town is mental fast! So same vehicle (ball) & similar surface
also
50 in a jag (premium ball) = slow, but 50 in a micra (distance ball) on the exact same road is (seems) faster

D

Deleted member 15344

Another question at a tangent

While I know its supposed to be a measure but is say a 9.5 always the same speed?
I’m thinking that there are other variables involved from grass type and grain etc even ball type (leaving out player perception) so just because it says 9.5 will that be the same from course to course?

i.e
50pmh on a motorway is slow but the same speed on a street in town is mental fast! So same vehicle (ball) & similar surface
also
50 in a jag (premium ball) = slow, but 50 in a micra (distance ball) on the exact same road is (seems) faster
Yes 9.5 is always the same speed - it’s actually a distance - the distance the ball rolls from the stimp ramp so 9.5 is 9.5 feet ( well the average of three rolls )

And in regards the question of speed of greens in this country - there are plenty inland courses that are able to get their greens up to 12 - most of them will be the big American style greens that are built on parkland stadium courses , played the Marquess when they were 12 , same with Liphook and also Hankley but most courses they will be around 9-10 with some going to 11 if they use an iron - but it needs very good greens and also greenstaff to ensure they are aired regularly to give the green time to recover

We air ours using the air machine every couple of weeks as they are ironed once a week - some iron the greens on a daily basis.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Yes 9.5 is always the same speed - it’s actually a distance - the distance the ball rolls from the stimp ramp so 9.5 is 9.5 feet ( well the average of three rolls )

And in regards the question of speed of greens in this country - there are plenty inland courses that are able to get their greens up to 12 - most of them will be the big American style greens that are built on parkland stadium courses , played the Marquess when they were 12 , same with Liphook and also Hankley but most courses they will be around 9-10 with some going to 11 if they use an iron - but it needs very good greens and also greenstaff to ensure they are aired regularly to give the green time to recover

We air ours using the air machine every couple of weeks as they are ironed once a week - some iron the greens on a daily basis.

Thanks, so the ball type has no effect on the distance and a budget ball should travel the same as a premium from the ramp?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It may make an inch difference but no more.
It's done on a flat part of the green so 12 on a flat green isn't that bad but 12 on a green with elephants buried under it are a nightmare

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Me either. Even at some very nice clubs I have not seen it. It's a shame as it would be fun to know.

When I see it its normally written on the notice/chalk board at most clubs next/near to putting practice green or exit of clubhouse on the way to 1st tee with the other daily info for the round

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I remember reading that Ealing golf course regularly has its greens somewhere between 11-13 and proudly claim the best greens locally.

They recently had Andy Sullivan and Beef play there prior to the BMW to get some practice on fast greens.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm with you on this, I would be very surprised in the UK if they had 12. Last year at Birkdale I just read that they where between 10.5 - 11. Last time at St Andrews they where at 10. From what I know of UK green types getting them crazy fast would require basically taking them down to the dirt, so killing them off and I can't see any greenkeeper doing that.

Links greens aren’t quick because of the wind blows the ball disappears! Slasher can verify but bearwood was 12 (?) @ the start of play on Saturday. Also played liphook in April & I’m sure I heard they were @ 12 then?

Also as imurg rightly says, it’s slopes & speed that catch u out, not speed of greens alone. You’ll be ok if your putting up hill all day :)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would say mower technology has made a big difference. I know we are trialing a greens iron at our club, and even leaving the greens a touch longer they green is quicker using the iron.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Me either. Even at some very nice clubs I have not seen it. It's a shame as it would be fun to know.

The Wisley has a notice board outside the pro shop with he speed of each three nines - 10.7 to 11 a few weeks back when i played. Hayling also has stimp reading quoted at the started hut by the first

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Links greens aren’t quick because of the wind blows the ball disappears! Slasher can verify but bearwood was 12 (?) @ the start of play on Saturday. Also played liphook in April & I’m sure I heard they were @ 12 then?

Also as imurg rightly says, it’s slopes & speed that catch u out, not speed of greens alone. You’ll be ok if your putting up hill all day :)

Correct - both days they said around 12 or 12.5 to start. We played at 4pm and as it was cold and no sun, I reckon they were nearer 11.5 for us on Saturday and Sunday - having played them at 12.5-13 a few times, there is still a world of difference in scariness between these two levels on our greens where there are some decent slopes! I love them like this but in general we have been slow this year and below 10 more often than not (i am guessing) until the pat couple of weeks. I think the aim for good weather is 10.5 to 11.5

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Wisley has a notice board outside the pro shop with he speed of each three nines - 10.7 to 11 a few weeks back when i played. Hayling also has stimp reading quoted at the started hut by the first

Both clubs in the south. I'm sure some northern clubs will do it but as a previous poster commented it is not as common and I have not played them. I've played Close House and Slaley Hall up here, both held big tournaments and neither of them show it. They are places I would expect to see it. I have even asked for the stimp at Close House as they can be speedy, but they did not know it. I think it is a nice touch, a point of interest.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Liphook have their greens at 12 for their bigger club comps and scratch open. Along with Bearwood Lakes they are the quickest greens I have played on in the UK.

Think I might ask for an extra cut and roll for the H4H day.:eek:

D

Deleted member 15344

Most of the clubs won’t display it because they won’t actually measure it - ultimately the speed isn’t really needed to know for most on a regular basis

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Most of the clubs won’t display it because they won’t actually measure it - ultimately the speed isn’t really needed to know for most on a regular basis

It's a pretty meaningless stat for most golfer. If I read that a green is 11, 9, 12, or 14 I don't know how hard to hit my putts just based on that information. I doubt many will either, yes it gives us an indication that the greens are going to be fast or slow but we get that information and more from one putt on the practice green.

I think it's more of a urinating contest so clubs can say look at us our greens are like the ones on the tele.

And as other have pointed out fast greens are not the be all and end all of being a good green. I played Bearwood Lakes a few weeks ago, the greens weren't that fast as we had a lot of rain the days previous but my god the ball ran so true on them it made putting so much easier.

I'd rather have a green running at 8 and was perfectly true than one running at 12 and a load of crap and bumps on the green

D

Deleted member 3432

As long as they putt well is all I'm interested in.

Playing an exposed links as I do they are never going to be lightening quick otherwise it would be a farce. Fortunately the HGK is a former county golfer so common sense is applied.

Only played on lightening quick greens once and it was a joke, not a single birdie in a group where I has the highest handicap off 4. All holes were on the edges and on slopes. It was nearly impossible to get below the hole with approach shots so every putt was a downhill breaker and almost impossible to stop at the hole. It was a 36 hole comp and half the field didn't bother going out in the afternoon.

If the greens are quick the hole positions need to be fair to give the golfer a chance of stopping the ball around the hole.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I think some on here are talking nonsense when it comes to speed on stimp then mentioning slopes in the same sentence, as LP says, few actually measure it. It's almost like a willy waving competition on here about how fast some "think" their greens are. :whistle: