Apex cf 16 or pro

jack1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interested on views on these irons, what type of golfer they suit, common shafts for use therein and i guess they were popular for a reason.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Two different players targeted.CF 16s are (certainly much more) 'Game Improvement' (GI) irons. Apex for those wanting more 'feel' (whatever folk believe that is!).
Both Forged - which is rare for GI clubs. Apex (a name Callaway came by from purchase of Hogan brand) more 'Player' irons - whatever folk take from that.
FWIW CF 16s were not 'full' GI - so 'filled a gap' in the Callaway's range that Mizuno had/has traditionally been strong in (IMO). Not 'super fugly' like 'traditional' Callaways, (a category I place Ping G series in too!).

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Although the CF16 says Forged its really only the body that's forged...the face isn't as they've stuck their Cup Face on the front.
Very powerful irons but I found them "clicky" due to the cup-face - I think all cup-face irons suffer from this.
Almost anyone can use the CF16, very forgiving.
The Apex Pro is a different beast..no cup-face and slightly weaker lofts.
Fully forged too......
Probably best to steer clear of you dont find the middle of the bat most times.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Although the CF16 says Forged its really only the body that's forged...the face isn't as they've stuck their Cup Face on the front.
Very powerful irons but I found them "clicky" due to the cup-face - I think all cup-face irons suffer from this.
Almost anyone can use the CF16, very forgiving.
The Apex Pro is a different beast..no cup-face and slightly weaker lofts.
Fully forged too......
Probably best to steer clear of you dont find the middle of the bat most times.

The Callaway site says different, it's still a large headed, high launching cavity back iron so it's going to be playable for anyone. If you like the look go for it.

https://www.callawaygolf.com/golf-clubs/iron-sets/irons-2019-apex-pro.html

albie999

Visit site
I bought a set of used Apex CF16's a few weeks ago, moving from a set of Ben Ross HTX Irons (proper GI Irons), and I can def feel a difference with the Apex, in terms of feel, which I was surprised at, as I thought that was just waffle ... but they def feel "softer". Also, when I do get them out of the middle, there is a satisfying crack, and the ball just flies. I have these from 5-PW, and on the 5, underneath, you can just make out an insert, which I believe is fitted in the longer irons, to help

I also contemplated the Pro, but am pleased that I did not go with them. The CFs are still smaller than my old Ben Ross, and it did take me a few games to settle in with them. Feel that the pro would have been a step to far for me, with my HCP around 20. I reckon I made the right purchase for me

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
If you want an indication of how easy they are for players to hit I can only give you my own experience as an example...

Back in 2016 as a 10 handicapper or so I was fitted for a set of CF16s (TT XP95 stiff shaft) ....they were brilliant, easy to hit with wonderful feel (cant for the life of me remember what they replaced but I'm sure it will come to me!!). Middle of last year with my game slowly deteriorating due to fatness and flexibility issues I thought I'd move to a larger, more forgiving, clubhead and got fitted for a set of Mizuno JPX919's (Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 stiff). Over the last year my game has gone from bad to worse and I have detested everything about the Mizunos....they are totally unhittable....probably a fitter Nick would have got more out of them but hey...it is what it is. The saying is that "nothing feels like a Mizuno"...al I can say is that "these Mizuno's felt like nothing on Earth"!!! I'm now a 14 handicap by the way and generally struggling to play to it.

Two weeks ago, in a final attempt to get the Mizuno's working for me I visited a fitter (not the one who fit me for the Mizunos) with the intention of either having new shafts in the JPX919s or a totally new set of clubs. Without going through the entire process we saw a significant improvement by changing shafts to the True Temper Elevate 95 shaft in regular flex. Then the fitter went back and got a different head, told me not to think he was being silly and got me to hit some more balls....the performance change that I saw with the Elevate shaft in the JPX 919s was doubled with the arrival of this new head. Ball speed was up, launch was up (I'm a low ball hitter so anything to increase my launch is fine by me), carry was up, landing angle was steeper...everything that the Elevate shaft in the 919s delivered was improved further by this new head.

The new head.......Apex CF19

So, what I'm effectively trying to say is that the CF16's, or even the CF19's may well be much easier to use than you are anticipating.

(The cost of having my Mizzies reshafted was going to be around £350....instead I found a set of as new CF19's on Callaways own pre-owned website and am currently in the process of selling my JPX919's....the price difference is already well less than the reshaft cost. All I need now is a quick visit back to the fitter for some loft and lie tweaking)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Nick. Too much indulgence/sampling your 'other hobby' (both probably obsessions!)?

Your post demonstrates the serious cost of changing shafts too! I foolishly once had a hankering to (and did!) replace S300s with PX5.5s in my CB201s. Fortunately, the fitter (Sami/Sammy) weaved some of his magic (soft-stepping them?) but my hands still hurt if I played 2 rounds in a weekend on my links course - and there was very little benefit for the rather large cost!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Apexes are both great irons, suitable for slightly different golfers. They are also very suitable for a hybrid set, CF16 in the longer irons, Pro in the shorter, all with he same seat, natch. I used to have the 16s and they were powerful and easy to hit, but a little bit clunky in the shorter irons. I currently have a hybrid set of Srixon 785/585s, same idea.

The shaft is always critical. XP95 and Elevate are both going to get the ball up with some spin, the Modus are more the modern style of flatter trajectory without as much spin. All are good shafts for the right player. C-taper lite or KBS 90 might also work.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Nick. Too much indulgence/sampling your 'other hobby' (both probably obsessions!)?

t!

Perhaps Ross...but then I dont remember ever being described in any sort of athletic terms for a long time prior to me taking up brewing!!

No coincidence that my peak levels of physical fitness around 2009-2011 coincided with my lowest handicap.