Anyone work nights? - help me out lads

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Righto, One of the staff my misses employs feel the need to call in sick at rediculous hours of the morning.

Sunday night with the misses not feeling well and being on about 3 different lots of tablets, she gets a call monday Text at 2am,

" im not comming in bla bla bla, but ill phone the office at 7.30 to register it on the voicemail like we have to "

Now baring in mind

A) she hasnt right slept in over 3 days

B) she is the manager so is in charge or rotors and staffing

She is now up for a further 2 hours re working room numbers in her head to see who she can move where to cover this girl before drifting off to sleep.

Last night at about 10, we're in bed watching tele and again a text " not coming in managed to do today but cant make tomorrow as dont feel well"

as it was out of work hours my misses basically told her that she thought she was telling porkies, and the girl replied that she would be in to work today at 8am as she should.

The this morning, at 5.45 (not due to be up until 7am, her f**king phones goes again " im sorry i know i said ill be in but im not well so im wont be able to make it "

Lads, this is doing my bloody head in, anyone fancy a few random calls to this number during the night just to show this B***H what its like to be disturbed at stupid bloody times.

Alternatively, i can see her mobile number going on some hookers card in local phone boxes! :mad: :mad:

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
can't your wife just turn the phone off at bed time.I have had company phones all my working life and they used to get turned off at 7pm but now I just leave them in the comapny car. She cannot be 'on call' permanently, I am sure this will not be in her contract of employment. I understand the quicker she knows who isnt going to work helps her rearrange rotas but it should be her line managers problem.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
unfortunately work do not give her a seperate phone, so she is contacted by staff on her personal line. Now like you suggested common sense would indicate turning the phone off at night, I run my own business and my phone goes off at 9pm every night without fail.

I agree that knowing staff are off in advance is great, but 2am?.... or 5.45am i think is taking the piss. Another member of staff called in sick today, but she text the misses at 7:15, which is the time she normally leave for work so it wasnt an issue, afteral she had been awake since 5:45 anyway.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Same as Mad - my company phone goes on silent as soon as I'm finished for the day. I won't answer any calls out of hours as I'm not paid to do that.

It may save her problems by knowing about the lack of personnel early but it doesn't highlight the problem to her managers so they continue to think everything is running smoothly even though your wife is up at all hours.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oddsocks, if your wife thinks this employee is texting at these silly hours to cause maximum inconvenience then your wife should call HER at 4am to see if she is coming into work.
The fact your wife doesn't have a company phone absolves her from any resposibility for this employee so she should make it quite clear what the correct protocol is for calling in sick and calling her at all hour of the night is not it.

Your wifes boss should make the correct protocol clear in a meeting or letter.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Mad & Robo, the staff are advised to call in before 8am if their not coming into work someone mans the office from 7:30am. Now i agree with a text in the morning around 7am, or at night by 7:30pm isnt much of an pain, but it amazes me that people text their boss at 2am.

Ive said she should turn her phone off by she wont be told.

Arggghhh silly woman!

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think anyone who txts at 2am does it because they dont expect it to be received until they turn their phone on at 7am or similar.

Why doesnt your wife just tell them all to simply NOT text her between 7pm & 7am ?????

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
How about - you tell family members etc who may need to get you at all times to ring only on your phone so that any urgent calls come through and you switch the wifes phone to silent between certain hours

Chris

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Macster, i agree with that, but the she has been advised not to text through the night. The problem is she is a light sleeper and onces she's awake.... im awake.

Chris, tried that it dont work ;) plus i have my phone off for simular reasons, friends who do work nights or from other countries may text when im asleep so i have the text in the morning. if i start leaving mine on the problem will atleast double,

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
"re-working room numbers"? Does your wife work at a hotel by any chance?

If so, you (and she) have my sympathies!

Unfortunately, I can't offer any other helpful suggestions than the ones that have already been given. Switching the phone off and/or getting your Mrs to tell her employees to NOT call/text her phone between certain hours is really all you can do.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
mate, if only, one of her staff members is that er.....hmmmmmmmm *polite silence* that when she was filling in a form she asked " er... what this place we live in in again... the country"...

silly bint forgot she lived in England.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
mate, if only, one of her staff members is that er.....hmmmmmmmm *polite silence* that when she was filling in a form she asked " er... what this place we live in in again... the country"...

silly bint forgot she lived in England.

Point taken - try murder!

Chris

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
my partner manages a site for a cleaning company, she is required to be on-standby over weekends too - floods, snow etc but she has a company phone. she gets staff calling in at odd times, fortunately not late at night and she doesn't keep the phone in the bedroom.

I'd suggest she changes her phone number, tells the company she's no longer prepared to allow her private phone to be used for company business - and why. (they must owe her for calls/texts anyway). they then have a choice of getting her a phone, she could transfer any late night calls to an answer phone, and/or sorting out the idiot.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
this pretty much sums it up. She has spoken to her boss and explained the situation, and requested that she has a cheap pay as you go mobile just so staff can contact her, at most i see this costing her boss £30.00 with a £10 a year in credit.

The boss's reply:

Proceedure states that they should call the office not your phone even if they have you number.

no work mobile to be issued dispite the constant out of hours pestering that she gets. Her boss is one tight arse!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
macster ive tried to get her too, but she never has and A) doesnt see why she should when simple common sense should prevale, and B) her sister is 3/4's of her way through pregnancy and doesnt want to miss anything.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well....up to you, but I'd go apeshit if I was regularly woken up with HID phone goin off during the night.
I assume you have a Landline that her sister will ring if she 'needs' to.

get a grip !