Anyone tried the Callaway Magna balls?

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interested to hear thoughts on these, are they really easier to hit? Thought these may work for my daughter with the larger size and low compression, basically a larger Supersoft ball.

Wolf

Visit site
Haven't used one but basically I'm assuming this is one of the things Callaway kept hold of when they sold the Top Flite brand to Dicks Sporting goods.

As the original Magna was made by them, I remember using them as a junior as they were supposedly easier to hit due to size, and larger ball meant higher COG so easier to get ball airborne, and supposedly flew straighter. If assume Callaway have taken these ideas and added the Supersoft design to it so as to incorporate the best of both in a larger softer compression ball.

From memory the Top Flite Magna was relatively easy to hit as it looked like a moon on a tee peg so inspired confidence when I first started and if they've managed to make it a decent ball now, I can certainly see how this would be beneficial to your daughter or anyone just starting out or looking for some confidence.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bit easier to play generally, but much easier to chip and putt.

They used to be available in 1.70, 1.72 and I think even 1.74" at one point (either Top Flight magna or Lynx Jumbo).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maxfli also had an oversize version in their Noodle range. One of mates was most annoyed when they discontinued it, he reckoned it was easier to hit.

One theory is the larger the ball the more loft you get and it was certainly one of the noticeable differences between 1.62 (English Balls) and 1.68 (American Balls) back in the day.

Waitforme

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Maxfli also had an oversize version in their Noodle range. One of mates was most annoyed when they discontinued it, he reckoned it was easier to hit.

One theory is the larger the ball the more loft you get and it was certainly one of the noticeable differences between 1.62 (English Balls) and 1.68 (American Balls) back in the day.

When you say English balls , do you mean the balls used under the standard set by the R&A in Scotland ?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had always assumed that golf balls had to be of a standard size! Learn something new every day.
Minimum diameter (1.68") and maximum weight 1.62 ounces.

For a long time it was 1.62" / 1.62 ounces, but the USGA went to 1.68" whilst the R&A stayed smaller for a bit longer.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I suppose from that remark your one of the players that say Top Flites balls are ............

Just find from experience that they mark and scuff very easily. Don't think (for me) they perform anywhere near as well as the TP5 range or even the Snell balls. All subjective of course.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just find from experience that they mark and scuff very easily. Don't think (for me) they perform anywhere near as well as the TP5 range or even the Snell balls. All subjective of course.

As someone who has played virtually every premium ball going through the years I have found them no better or worse than most makes depending upon the chosen model. If I get two rounds out of any premium ball I am happy. I have heard many a player say the do not scuff a X ball I normally reply it's because you do not hit the ball hard enough or change your wedges often enough:).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fair enough, I think the supersoft are even worse than the Chrome Soft. We all like and prefer different things.
I use soft golf balls, but I didn't like the Supersoft either. Has a weird clicky sound and felt dead off the putter. I much prefer the Wilson DX2 and Titleist Trusoft.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use soft golf balls, but I didn't like the Supersoft either. Has a weird clicky sound and felt dead off the putter. I much prefer the Wilson DX2 and Titleist Trusoft.

Now that's a bit weird. A ball that's supposed to be supersoft making a click sound off the club face.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I've been a fan of Callaway balls since the original Chrome Soft came out...the 2016 update was an improvement on a good ball but they made a mess of it with the 2018 upgrade....just didn't feel the same and performance was awful. Luckily I found a supply of the 2016 ball so bought as many boxes as I could. That stock is now dwindling and I reckon after some late 2018 testing that my summer ball of choice for the coming year will be the AVX.

For the winter though I've manged to source a load of circa 2012 Callaway EXR Power balls....happened to find one back in November and used it as a provisional on one hole and it just flew like a rocket....and didnt feel awfully bad off the wedges and putter....as a bonus it span surprisingly well on approach shots.

I've just also bagged a box of the ERC Soft balls to see what they feel like but not had a chance to try the Magnas yet....but in the interests of research will definitely give them a go!!!

The Supersoft I found to be like playing with a kids rubber ball when putting....would launch itself off the putter in unpredictable ways making distance control a nightmare.

To bandy about throwaway comments about manufacturers balls....TM haven't made a decent ball since the original Penta...and they buggered that up with the second version that they called the TP5 (the TP3 was closer to the Penta in terms of feel and performance)...the only decent other ball that TM have ever made was the BlackMax….and that was really a Maxfli ball that was derived from the old A10.