Anyone played Doonbeg lately ?

Hitdaball

Visit site
Hoping to play there end of October and I have been reading that greens were very slow. Does anyone have any recent ish experience? I know it’s a little bit out of the way but you never know.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Played it last year, is that recent ish enough?

D

Deleted member 21258

Not sure if recent enough, but played it in June of this year.

With the slopes on the greens, the greens were quick enough when we played it, that was directly after a big members comp on the day(so maybe not normal speed?). I didn't think the greens were pure tho and on some putts the ball would roll slightly off line due to it.

We did it on a twilight round, which was a lot cheaper, just in case you are not aware they do twilight rates.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Personally there are other courses nearby that I would choose over Doonbeg if the OP is not yet committed to it.

Hitdaball

Visit site
Thanks- only commited in the sense that for some reason late Oct Doonbeg is 75 quid against 100s at Ballybunion and Lahinch.

Will probably be doing an overnighter and 2 rounds , Doonbeg plus 1.

Where else would you gents suggest?

D

Deleted Member 1156

I preferred both Lahinch and Tralee.
Also played Waterville and Old Head on the same trip but they are both too far away and massively expensive.
Ask Liverbirdie about Tralee 👍

D

Deleted member 21258

I wouldn't go back to Doonbeg again, think we paid e85 twilight in June, felt the course looked great on the eye, but wasn't that great to play and welcome was poor. Some great holes tho. Don't regret playing it and glad we did.

Something to be aware of is that there are hidden costs for Ballybunion & Lahinch & Old Head & Adare, all need you to have at least one caddy per group and think those four from memory will join you up with other groups if you are not a 4 ball.

I loved Tralees layout, would go back to in a flash, from the website it is still fairly expensive at e180 in October and quite a drive from doonbeg(depending on where you are staying). So not sure it is a goer.

Sorry not played any other courses with an hour of Doonbeg.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks- only commited in the sense that for some reason late Oct Doonbeg is 75 quid against 100s at Ballybunion and Lahinch.

Will probably be doing an overnighter and 2 rounds , Doonbeg plus 1.

Where else would you gents suggest?

I havent played Doonbeg, but if not committed Tralee and Killarney would be a recommendation. Killarney had a Loch Lomond feel to it (I can imagine), being on the lake, although dont know how it will play in October, possibly wet.

Tralee is heaven on earth.

I havent played it but Dooks also gets talked up.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, they are not gushing to be fair.

Yeah - watching now, and they're not totally in love with it, more appreciation for the hotel and restaurant than the golf course. I like the look of it though, love the way the dunes look, beautiful setting for a golf course, definitely looks worth a play not knowing anything about it outside this video. Imagine it's crazy expensive.

D

Deleted member 21258

Yeah - watching now, and they're not totally in love with it, more appreciation for the hotel and restaurant than the golf course. I like the look of it though, love the way the dunes look, beautiful setting for a golf course, definitely looks worth a play not knowing anything about it outside this video. Imagine it's crazy expensive.

Its a shame they haven't really shown or almost mentioned the course or their thoughts on the course, some of the holes look/play brilliant.

Maybe due to the political position of trump and the feelings it creates in USA(?). Wonder why they picked that course to play whilst in Ireland, if that was the case ?

Made me laugh how they picked a random(?) pitch/putt course to play, after travelling all those miles.:unsure:

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Its a shame they haven't really shown or almost mentioned the course or their thoughts on the course, some of the holes look/play brilliant.

Maybe due to the political position of trump and the feelings it creates in USA(?). Wonder why they picked that course to play whilst in Ireland, if that was the case ?

Made me laugh how they picked a random(?) pitch/putt course to play, after travelling all those miles.:unsure:

I played that pitch and putt on possibly the windiest day ever (slight exaggeration). It is great fun and in a great setting. The Cliffs of Moher are the back drop.

I would imagine they had a few hours to kill in the morning before their tee time.

Doolin is also a cracking spot for a pint and a bite to eat. The bars are great.

I love the NLU content but I did think the first episode was a bit weak. On the NLU forum they did mention the found the course uninspiring so didn't really have much to say about it.

As the series is called Tourist Sauce, as a tourist to the area I would have liked to see more of the course, for better or for worse. A bit of insight into the some of the holes (they can't all have been uninspiring) would have been good. Maybe there was some subconscious bias there after all. Who knows.

Looking forward to the next episode though.