Anyone Blog?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks Iain. It's in it's very early days of putting it together but have made contact with some really well known and dj's that where there from the start. I've always loved House Music but was slightly too young to go out late 80's. Read Marshall Jefferson's book and a book called the 2nd summer of Love last week on holiday that made me want to hear about other people's view. Read loads of other books and always been interested in stories from people that were there or involved.

The Marshall book is really interesting, especially to hear it from the Chicago side, from where it and who 'apparently' started it - which is a debate in it's self.

Will also be an observer of this.
Growing up with the dance scene from late 80s acid house through to the gabber hardcore that became my equivalent love. I didn't just travel the length and breadth of the country, I also travelled Europe through 93 to 98. House Music as a term is an interesting one as it's definition varies by country almost. House in Belgium was more akin to Trance, in Holland more to Hardcore and in Germany more to Techno, rather then the slower, more downtempo UK version.
All off them had bangers though from Yves Deruyter's Calling Earth to CJ Bolland's The Prophet.
Loved many Belgian tracks from Bonzai Records and still have over 100 of them. But Dutch Gabber was my true religion.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Growing up with the dance scene from late 80s acid house through to the gabber hardcore that became my equivalent love. I didn't just travel the length and breadth of the country, I also travelled Europe through 93 to 98. House Music as a term is an interesting one as it's definition varies by country almost. House in Belgium was more akin to Trance, in Holland more to Hardcore and in Germany more to Techno, rather then the slower, more downtempo UK version.
All off them had bangers though from Yves Deruyter's Calling Earth to CJ Bolland's The Prophet.
Loved many Belgian tracks from Bonzai Records and still have over 100 of them. But Dutch Gabber was my true religion.

I might be in touch then for some stories of your adventures.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure how much is safe to print 😂.
Trips to Antwerp and Rotterdam were brilliant and total eye-openers as to how badly the scene was both regarded and managed in the UK when compares to those countries.

Yes, I missed out a far amount of my activities due to my old man wanting to read my blog :ROFLMAO: Although I guess he knows due to the amount of Sunday dinners I left during that time.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure if anyone is interested but I've have a few new pieces on my blog - 1 is an interview with Mark Archer (Altern8) and with a DJ called Paul Stuart who talks about his background of soul, funk, jazz right through to House music.

In The Beginning

Wolf

Visit site
Not sure if anyone is interested but I've have a few new pieces on my blog - 1 is an interview with Mark Archer (Altern8) and with a DJ called Paul Stuart who talks about his background of soul, funk, jazz right through to House music.

In The Beginning

Will be giving this a good read when I get home later, huge fan of House music having grown up during the late 80s and mainly 90s. Got some great if somewhat unpublishable memories 😂, remember going to the first Creamfields back in 1998 what an experience that was,. Have been lucky enough to see Jose Padilla play a full set at Cafe Del Mar in San Antonio, even got to meet Judge Jules which was hugely interesting finding out he got the law degree before he took of as a DJ hence the name.

I can see your blog bringing back some happy memories

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Will be giving this a good read when I get home later, huge fan of House music having grown up during the late 80s and mainly 90s. Got some great if somewhat unpublishable memories 😂, remember going to the first Creamfields back in 1998 what an experience that was,. Have been lucky enough to see Jose Padilla play a full set at Cafe Del Mar in San Antonio, even got to meet Judge Jules which was hugely interesting finding out he got the law degree before he took of as a DJ hence the name.

I can see your blog bringing back some happy memories

I had to be careful as my Dad wanted to read what I'd put!!

Got a few more DJs lined up too. Loved doing it and the DJs have been really good in giving up a bit of time to send me replies which I didn't think they'd do.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site

Used to hate gabber. Thought it sounded like rocks in a washing machine. Then at an event, and under influence it was best thing I ever heard and it became all I could listen to.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

In The Beginning

Marshy, love the Mark Archer interview. Totally bob on about too much music flooding the place now.

Altern-8 were amongst the PAs that got me into the more rave scene away from acid.
Activ-8 was, I think, 1991 and the next 9 years led me on a merry dance (pun intended) across Continental Europe.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Marshy, love the Mark Archer interview. Totally bob on about too much music flooding the place now.

Altern-8 were amongst the PAs that got me into the more rave scene away from acid.
Activ-8 was, I think, 1991 and the next 9 years led me on a merry dance (pun intended) across Continental Europe.

Thank you. There is far too much music coming out and so much rubbish and regurgitated rubbish too.

Got a few more DJs lined up, just waiting to hear back - it should keep me busy.

Thanks for reading. If its of interest and you do social media it would be great if you could share it.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thank you. There is far too much music coming out and so much rubbish and regurgitated rubbish too.

Got a few more DJs lined up, just waiting to hear back - it should keep me busy.

Thanks for reading. If its of interest and you do social media it would be great if you could share it.

You are right, the high volume of releases has seriously impacted on quality.
I am now finished digitizing my vinyl collection so tend to listen to stuff from 1990 to 1998 before I will touch "modern" stuff.

I don't have social media, beyond fourms, I'm afraid. I have serious issues with SM and it's usage 😂

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Used to hate gabber. Thought it sounded like rocks in a washing machine. Then at an event, and under influence it was best thing I ever heard and it became all I could listen to.

I can see where you are coming from, but gabber's raw sound is what I loved about it.
Then you had some really intelligent stuff like Ruffneck and it's imprint labels, that was (and still is) my true music love - I got a Ruffneck tattoo in 1994 when I was in Rotterdam for the two day "Nightmare" weekender.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
New blog up on my site, interviewed the legendary Terry Farley. Great guy, answered everything I asked, could have asked him loads of stuff but I had to rain it in.

Terry Farley

I’ve enjoyed keeping up with this Marshy.
Totally get how you’ve still got the passion for the Music and the Scene all these years on.
I was at it around the NW and Leeds from 91 onwards.. great times ?

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve enjoyed keeping up with this Marshy.
Totally get how you’ve still got the passion for the Music and the Scene all these years on.
I was at it around the NW and Leeds from 91 onwards.. great times ?

Did you go to the Hacienda? Gutted I never went

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did you go to the Hacienda? Gutted I never went

Yes mate I first went when it re-opened in May 91.. Never forget it, we queued up from about 7pm around the block.
Mainly used to go to the Shine nights on a Friday, I think Alastair Whitehead was the DJ, Sometimes Jon Dasilva with Graeme Park doing the Saturdays.
I was always gutted back then that I just missed out on the Blackburn Raves, always thought that the Hacienda was the closest you’d get atmosphere wise.

We’d usually go elsewhere or out of town on Saturdays.. Pleasuredrome, Shelleys, Wigan Pier, Sequins Blackpool. Millionaires/Wiggly Worm, Back 2 Basics, Orbit, Konspiricy , Angels.

Pleasuredrome at Farnworth was probably the fave back then, it was only open for about 12months, Qs from 6pm with people from the midlands up to Glasgow....Welly used to get that place rocking, I still listen to his mixes now on Mixcloud etc (are you on there?)

Weekends were something else back then... From that to Golf ?

Last edited:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
New blog up on my site, interviewed the legendary Terry Farley. Great guy, answered everything I asked, could have asked him loads of stuff but I had to rain it in.

Terry Farley

Another quality read Marshy. Terry isn't wrong when he talks about culture and how we lived for the nights out, nowadays it's about just enjoying it. Everything co-ordinated via social media to the nth degree. Back in the day we had no idea where the nights would take us, who would be there and when it would actually start/end, because we lived the moment of just being there.

Can you imagine the social media "backlash" of grouping cultures based on how they dressed or how they cut their hair? :D

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes mate I first went when it re-opened in May 91.. Never forget it, we queued up from about 7pm around the block.
Mainly used to go to the Shine nights on a Friday, I think Alastair Whitehead was the DJ, Sometimes Jon Dasilva with Graeme Park doing the Saturdays.
I was always gutted back then that I just missed out on the Blackburn Raves, always thought that the Hacienda was the closest you’d get atmosphere wise.

We’d usually go elsewhere or out of town on Saturdays.. Pleasuredrome, Shelleys, Wigan Pier, Sequins Blackpool. Millionaires/Wiggly Worm, Back 2 Basics, Orbit, Konspiricy , Angels.

Pleasuredrome at Farnworth was probably the fave back then, it was only open for about 12months, Qs from 6pm with people from the midlands up to Glasgow....Welly used to get that place rocking, I still listen to his mixes now on Mixcloud etc (are you on there?)

Weekends were something else back then... From that to Golf ?

Fantastic. Loved Parky, used to follow him for a while. Fingers crossed I'll have an article with him once I get something sorted.

Used to go the Basics all the time but went to Hard Times more, definitely once a month.

Yes, I have a a mixcloud page with my mixes on:

Mixcloud

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another quality read Marshy. Terry isn't wrong when he talks about culture and how we lived for the nights out, nowadays it's about just enjoying it. Everything co-ordinated via social media to the nth degree. Back in the day we had no idea where the nights would take us, who would be there and when it would actually start/end, because we lived the moment of just being there.

Can you imagine the social media "backlash" of grouping cultures based on how they dressed or how they cut their hair? :D

I know, I used to go to Hard Times with no idea some weeks who'd be on. It was about the music and then you'd find out who was playing and what they were playing.

I've got an article with a DJ/producer called Scott Diaz who had a gig cancelled because they booked him and then saw what he looked like!!! Ridiculous.

oddavie

Visit site
I have just started my own blog. I have focused on golf courses I have played, and hope to get some equipment reviews in the future. I am from Norway, but decided to write in english to reach a broader audience. I use social media to share it, but not much more then 50 views pr. Post. Feel free to read it The average golfer