Any plumbers in the house!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We have gas Central Heating with Sainsburys Energy. Had a new boiler fitted 6 months ago. We have electricity for cooking, gas hob. Gas fire.

Central heating just stopped this p.m gas fire not working and no hot water.

Gas Meter outside but shows a blank. Sainsbury’s Energy unavailable as it is weekend, Emergency Gas not interested. Sent email plus a tweet and Facebook and phoned without success.
Had a similar problem early January when we returned from holiday with no gas and Sainsbury’s sorted the pRobles the next day.

Any help/advice would be appreciated StuC! bad time to post after footie tonigh!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From the above you say you have a gas hob but do not say if that is working or not. If it is emergency will not be interested because it is not a problem with the supply.

Re the boiler what is the weather like where you are? If it is freezing outside is the condensate pipe frozen. That is the plastic pipe from the boiler which normally goes outside and the end is open to the elements. Does the boiler have any fault showing on the screen?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Cheers J. Hob working, temp 10 degrees during the day.

The system just stopped working.I.e the central heating was on low around 15 degrees.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Try resetting your boiler , maybe the gas has cut of at some point, also check if there's batteries in the room thermostat that may need replaced .

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
So the gas hob works so there is no problem with the gas supply, how is your gas fire controlled?

Has the boiler got power? As William said maybe switch it off then switch it on again.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
F and D Hob NOT working. No gas appliances working. My mistake.

surely a problem with the meter. batteries in thermostat working

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
F and D Hob NOT working. No gas appliances working. My mistake.

surely a problem with the meter. batteries in thermostat working

Certainly sounds like a meter problem, how is it powered, are there any batteries that could be replaced? Pretty poor from Tesco not having any customer support for their energy customers over the weekend.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is the gas still connected?
I remember years back we were all out at work, and the gas co had been doing works int he street. Because no-one was home to answer the door after they finished, they disconnected the gas at the meterjust in case you have a leak".
I didn't before they started work, and I didn't after but still they cut the gas.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I remember years back we were all out at work, and the gas co had been doing works int he street. Because no-one was home to answer the door after they finished, they disconnected the gas at the meterjust in case you have a leak".
I didn't before they started work, and I didn't after but still they cut the gas.
I didn't before they started work, and I didn't after but still they cut the gas.[/Q
only a small road, house next door‘s gas working. No gas guys around today..

almost certain it is a meter problem.

really appreciate lol your efforts.

Bring on Monday and it is warmer than last week

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Bit harsh! ?

? oops!

Re the boiler, has it gone into lock out? As said earlier if you switch it off then on again it should reset, then if the stat is up and timer on it should try to fire up. You should hear the pump/fan start up and might hear a clicking of the electronic ignition trying to light the gas. Normally after 2/3 attempts if there is no flame the boiler will go into lockout. There might be code shown. E133 or EA 227?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
? oops!

Re the boiler, has it gone into lock out? As said earlier if you switch it off then on again it should reset, then if the stat is up and timer on it should try to fire up. You should hear the pump/fan start up and might hear a clicking of the electronic ignition trying to light the gas. Normally after 2/3 attempts if there is no flame the boiler will go into lockout. There might be code shown. E133 or EA 227?
I though he said the gas hob wasn't working either?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have you paid your bill :D, very risky [ probably illegal ] cutting people 's gas off without telling them, even worse is turning it back on without telling them :eek:
Edit, make sure all your gas appliances are turned of, in case it comes back on unexpectedly. boom.:devilish:

Last edited:

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have you paid your bill :D, very risky [ probably illegal ] cutting people 's gas off without telling them, even worse is turning it back on without telling them :eek:
Edit, make sure all your gas appliances are turned of, in case it comes back on unexpectedly. boom.:devilish:
paid monthly and in credit! All turned off.

Nothing working, tried re igniting the boiler without success. Sure it must be the meter. It is completely blank.

Bring on tomorrow when I will be in touch and it is a bit warmer today. Managed to borrow a small electric fan heate.
Appreciate you efforts.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
paid monthly and in credit! All turned off.

Nothing working, tried re igniting the boiler without success. Sure it must be the meter. It is completely blank.

Bring on tomorrow when I will be in touch and it is a bit warmer today. Managed to borrow a small electric fan heate.
Appreciate you efforts.

might be a daft question, but have you checked with the next door neighbours to see if their supply is still on?