Any painters on here

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Young lad Tash has had 3 x bedrooms, hall and Front room plaster skimmed over the last week or so. Over the next couple of days they will be ready to have there first “ mist” coat. Had a peruse on Google and I have read anything from 1 part emulsion to 1 part water up to 1 part water 4 parts water.
Does it really matter or what would folk advise.
Cheers guys.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Young lad Tash has had 3 x bedrooms, hall and Front room plaster skimmed over the last week or so. Over the next couple of days they will be ready to have there first “ mist” coat. Had a peruse on Google and I have read anything from 1 part emulsion to 1 part water up to 1 part water 4 parts water.
Cheers guys.

3 parts paint 1 part water will do

Really just needs to coat everything and be soaked up by the plaster to help the paint give a better finish

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The mist coat is basically sealing the surface as the current surface will be highly absorbent. Without using that you would end up applying 3 or 4 coats of the more expensive top coat to get a good finish, the pretty one you really want on show.

If the walls are really sucking the paint in, pop another layer on those bare areas. No harm in that.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
if its DIY painting buy the bare plaster paint from Screwfix, far easier and less hassle and gives a great finish once painted over. Have used it in 3 or 4 houses now and works really well
This x1000

Don’t bother with mixing a mist coat with normal emulsion.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Very strange but I bought 10 lites of that from B and M last week. 😳
I would use contractors white emulsion from a Johnsons paint centre. 10 litres is very reasonable.

Not gonna lie, it’s been a mare. A guy I know was recommended to do the plastering. He was adamant he could do it. He is in his 70’s long covid and had a stroke during COVID. I know him through the RBL and thought it would help him. It didn’t, my son had a pal round to price him up for a media wall. said pal said “ you cannot paint those walls”. Son had to pull the plasterer off the job. There was no edging strips put in place. No tape over cracked plaster. It was all over the place.I could have cried. It didn’t go down well with him, his wife was in tears when she called round. She told she me didn’t want to do the job, she said it was too much. He was adamant he could do it.. She knew after the first day they would struggle. I am adamant we won’t fall out over it but she is devastated. Always being the one to look on the positive side of things, I told her “ it’s not the end of the world and it happened to a friend, what would you have done if it had been a customer you never knew”. She then mentioned it was the first plastering job he had done since COVID. 😖 He is not doing it anymore.
So we are nearly two weeks behind schedule, fortunately I dropped on with another plasterer who is fantastic but we have had to knock back, painting, radiators being fitted, carpets put back. Some days you could flippin scream.

Oh and I flippin hate painting.Missis T loves it.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Johnsons often have larger than 10 ltr tubs of white emulsion stacked up on the floor. I use it straight out the tub on fresh plaster. Works fine, and 2 coats gives a good base for the top coats.
It's quite reasonable too.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cheers guys.

We had the complete house renovated including a complete re plaster just out of covid. At the time I was working for a national builders merchant and was advised the most cost was a thing of the past and that a latex based emulsion is now a far better option as paint “ tech “ has moved on.

We went with the leyland based option as Selco offered the best deal on 20l tubs.

FYI it wasn’t Selco I was working for, but they were the most competitive.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Many thanks for the advice re the paint mist, it’s had two coats of mist and two of emulsion and looks fantastic.

But why oh why do some folk paint skirting boards with the carpets down 😡

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Many thanks for the advice re the paint mist, it’s had two coats of mist and two of emulsion and looks fantastic.

But why oh why do some folk paint skirting boards with the carpets down 😡

My carpet company (when we had it fitted) said to paint after because they will chip the paint fitting the carpet lol