Visit site
Hi
I'm looking for a golf teacher
I think teaching is an art in its own right and the best ones
  • are able to spot errors or areas to work on
  • have great communication skills
  • have the patience to keep repeating drills until the penny drops
  • and then start over again!
I am finding that most clubs have a pro who teaches but can any one recommend someone who is a great golf teacher in the Mid Kent area
Many thanks

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would start local and work your way out until you find someone that 'works for you'

Don't forget to include the facilities, timing/availability and location as factors - 'cos they will be if you decide to get serious.

Where in Mid-Kent?

jackstraw

Visit site
Thanks for your reply Duncan. I think teaching is an art which not everyone has. I would really prefer to run with a recommendation if possible.

I haven't come across golfing tutors but I have worked with youth district and county cricket coaches. It never fails to amaze me how a great coach can spot one small aspect of bowling, make a small seemingly insignificant change and achieve fantastic results. I have also seen great cricketers who are acting as coaches struggle to identify what is wrong or are unable to explain it clearly and succinctly to the pupil. I am certain that the same is true in golf.

I live in the West Malling area which means I have easy access to Malling, Maidstone, Medway, Sevenoaks, Tonbridge and TW. I haven't counted but that is probably 25 golf courses and a further 25 driving ranges

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Paul Foston is highly rated, especially for short game and putting. He is a GM top 25 coach. I havn't used him myself and he is not cheap but I believe is very good. Google him, would be my tip

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
OK, got the geography :)

I agree with Chris that Paul Foston is going to fit your stated needs well. I will admit to bias as I played a lot with Paul in the mid/late 70s as he was making his way, including a couple of seasons as his pro-am partner in a Foxhills series. Smarden's not the easiest of journeys for you so a lot would depend on the nature of the coaching you are looking for.

A nearer alternative would be Rupert Hunter http://www.hunterknightgolfcoaching.co.uk/ who I would be happy to recommend but doesn't have the weight of Paul's experience!

Last, but definitely not least, would be Nicola (Nicky) Way (Paul's sister) who works out of http://www.hildenpark.co.uk/. I have never had a lesson from her but she is reputed to have an excellent eye for detail and a superb teaching manner.

Obviously there are a huge number of club professionals, and increasingly dedicated teaching professionals at clubs with facilities in your catchment area as well.

barrybridges

Head Pro
fairwaytogo.wordpress.com
I live in the West Malling area which means I have easy access to Malling, Maidstone, Medway, Sevenoaks, Tonbridge and TW. I haven't counted but that is probably 25 golf courses and a further 25 driving ranges

Chris Lightfoot works at Edenbridge Driving Range but he is from West Malling I believe, so you might be able to speak to him and see if he can come to you (as it's closer for him!). I've had lessons with him in the past and he's a good tutor.

His number is on the Kent and Surrey Golf Club website.

chunkiesgreat

Hacker
Visit site
Hi there I have use Steve Mitchel. He is the head pro at Etchinghill GC.

I live in maidstone and find the 30 mins drive down the M20 not to bad at all.
I haven't had a total swing change and he has worked on a lot of feel of the swing and then making me work out what feels right and making me understand when its gone wrong and why its gone wrong then making sure i can recognise how to correct it so i dont compound errors.

Anyway he works for me but there seams to be a lot of good coaches around.

Duncs